Effect of Transaction Costs on Seller Decisions among Small-Holder Cassava Farmers in South-Eastern Nigeria
AbstractA linear probability model (LPM) analysis of seller decisions selling cassava on-farm (farm-gate) or off-farm (market) was derived and estimated consistent with a sample 216 farm households. Variables of proportional transaction costs have different effects on off-farm and on-farm market participation decisions. The seller type decision revealed that coefficients for have a personal means of transport, road conditions to the nearest town and marketing experience were positive and significantly related to increase in off-farm cassava sellers at 5% level of probability. The coefficient for distance from the house to the farm was negatively and significantly related to increase in farmers selling off-farm at 1% level of probability. The coefficients for crop transportation costs, distance to the nearest town, distance from the house to the farm and yield were negative and significant at 5% level of probability. These decisions to participate as an off-farm or on-farm seller were as a result of proportional transaction costs associated with participating in the market. It was found that unexpected transaction costs inhibit farm households from selling off-farm. The results therefore calls for policies aimed at infrastructural development especially on roads and establishment of bulking centers to mitigate transportation costs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 26120.
Date of creation: 10 Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Transaction Costs; Seller Decisions and Cassava Farmers;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D2 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2010-10-30 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2010-10-30 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2005.
"Selling at the Farmgate or Traveling to Market,"
American Journal of Agricultural Economics,
Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 87(3), pages 717-734.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Hill, 2004. "Selling at the Farm-Gate or Travelling to Market," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2004-30, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Ruth Vargas Hill, 2004. "Selling at the farm-gate or travelling to market," CSAE Working Paper Series 2004-30, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R. & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1993.
"How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 337-366, August.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1989. "How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 163, The World Bank.
- Nigel Key & Elisabeth Sadoulet & Alain De Janvry, 2000. "Transactions Costs and Agricultural Household Supply Response," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 82(2), pages 245-259.
- Feder, Gershon & Just, Richard E & Zilberman, David, 1985. "Adoption of Agricultural Innovations in Developing Countries: A Survey," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 33(2), pages 255-98, January.
- Wanjiru, Rebeccah & Owuor, George & Lagat, Job, 2012. "Decision Making in the Presence of Transaction Costs –evidence from Smallholder Banana Farmers in Murang’a County, Kenya," 2012 Eighth AFMA Congress, November 25-29, 2012, Nairobi, Kenya 159391, African Farm Management Association (AFMA).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.