Challenges of Bank Consolidation to the Central Bank of Nigeria: A Descriptive Analysis
AbstractConsolidation is one of the trends that characterize banking industry restructuring in Nigeria. However, the emerging scale of bank mergers raises challenging policy questions that must be addressed by policy makers in the course of promoting economic efficiency while safeguarding the nation’s financial system. This paper analyses the challenges of the banking consolidation to the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN). The paper is descriptive and uses literature survey method. Data was collected from secondary source through CBN publications, local and international journals and other published materials. The paper argues that the recent consolidation poses new challenges to the regulatory authority, particularly in the area of financial system stability. It therefore, recommends that CBN’s policies aimed at providing financial system stability and efficiency should take into consideration the process of banking consolidation and increasing globalisation of financial transactions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23198.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Journal of Business Administration Vol. I.No. 2(2006): pp. 7-13
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G38 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Government Policy and Regulation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kevin J. Stiroh & Jennifer P. Poole, 2000. "Explaining the rising concentration of banking assets in the 1990s," Current Issues in Economics and Finance, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, vol. 6(Aug).
- Liz Laderman, 2003. "Good news on Twelfth District banking market concentration," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue oct24.
- Stephen A. Rhoades, 2000. "Bank mergers and banking structure in the United States, 1980-98," Staff Studies, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) 174, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- International Monetary Fund, 2004. "Bank Consolidation and Performance," IMF Working Papers 04/149, International Monetary Fund.
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997.
"The effects of megamergers on efficiency and prices: evidence from a bank profit function,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.)
1997-9, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Jalal D. Akhavein & Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1996. "The Effects of Megamergers on Efficiency and Prices: Evidence from a Bank Profit Function," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania 96-03, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Tetsuji Okazaki & Michiru Sawada, 2004.
"Effects of bank consolidation promotion policy: Evaluating the Bank Law in 1927 Japan,"
Discussion papers, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI)
04004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Michiru Sawada & Tetsuji Okazaki, 2004. "Effects of Bank Consolidation Promotion Policy: Evaluating the Bank Law in 1927 Japan," CIRJE F-Series, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo CIRJE-F-307, CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo.
- Simon Kwan, 2004. "Banking consolidation," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jun18.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.