Explaining the rising concentration of banking assets in the 1990s
AbstractIn recent years, the nation's largest bank holding companies have sharply increased their market share of assets. Have these institutions achieved their dominance by expanding their existing subsidiaries or by merging with other bank holding companies? A study of industry data for 1990-99 suggests that the increased market share of the largest companies is attributable almost entirely to external growth through mergers and acquisitions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its journal Current Issues in Economics and Finance.
Volume (Year): 6 (2000)
Issue (Month): Aug ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997.
"Inside the Black Box: What Explains Differences in the Efficiencies of Financial Institutions?,"
Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers
97-04, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Berger, Allen N. & Mester, Loretta J., 1997. "Inside the black box: What explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(7), pages 895-947, July.
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-10, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Inside the black box: what explains differences in the efficiencies of financial institutions?," Working Papers 97-1, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Joseph P. Hughes, 1997.
"Bank Capitalization and Cost: Evidence of Scale Economies in Risk Management and Signaling,"
Departmental Working Papers
199601, Rutgers University, Department of Economics.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 1998. "Bank Capitalization And Cost: Evidence Of Scale Economies In Risk Management And Signaling," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 80(2), pages 314-325, May.
- Joseph P. Hughes & Loretta J. Mester, 1997. "Bank capitalization and cost: evidence of scale economies in risk management and signaling," Working Papers 96-2, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Simon Kwan & Robert A. Eisenbeis, 1999. "Mergers of publicly traded banking organizations revisited," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, issue Q4, pages 26-37.
- Stiroh, Kevin J., 2000. "How did bank holding companies prosper in the 1990s?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 24(11), pages 1703-1745, November.
- Wanting Wang, 2012. "The Special Characteristics of American Community Banking," International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Accounting, Finance and Management Sciences, vol. 2(2), pages 182-189, April.
- Antonio Ahumada & Jorge Marshall, 2001. "The banking industry in Chile: competition, consolidation and systemic stability," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), The banking industry in the emerging market economies: competition, consolidation and systemic stability, volume 4, pages 45-53 Bank for International Settlements.
- Ahmad Bello, Dogarawa, 2006. "Challenges of Bank Consolidation to the Central Bank of Nigeria: A Descriptive Analysis," MPRA Paper 23198, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Roberto J. Santillán Salgado, 2011. "Banking Concentration in the European Union during the Last Fifteen Years," Panoeconomicus, Savez ekonomista Vojvodine, Novi Sad, Serbia, vol. 58(2), pages 245-266, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.