Effects of Bank Consolidation Promotion Policy: Evaluating the Bank Law in 1927 Japan
AbstractThis paper investigates the impact of bank consolidations promoted by government policy, using data from prewar Japan, when the financial authorities promoted them by dint of the Bank Law in 1927. It finds that the policy-promoted consolidation had a positive effect on the deposit growth, especially during the period of a major financial crisis. On the other hands, it had a negative effect on the profitability, particularly, in case there was no dominant bank among the participants or more than two banks participated in the consolidation. The policy-promoted consolidation in such cases was likely to be accompanied by large organizational cost.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRJE, Faculty of Economics, University of Tokyo in its series CIRJE F-Series with number CIRJE-F-307.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Hongo 7-3-1, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo 113-0033
Web page: http://www.cirje.e.u-tokyo.ac.jp/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Tetsuji Okazaki & Michiru Sawada, 2004. "Effects of bank consolidation promotion policy: Evaluating the Bank Law in 1927 Japan," Discussion papers 04004, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- NEP-ALL-2004-11-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-HIS-2004-11-22 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-IFN-2004-11-22 (International Finance)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ahmad Bello, Dogarawa, 2006. "Challenges of Bank Consolidation to the Central Bank of Nigeria: A Descriptive Analysis," MPRA Paper 23198, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kris James Mitchener & Mari Ohnuki, 2007. "Capital Market Integration in Japan," Monetary and Economic Studies, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 25(2), pages 129-154, November.
- Kris James Mitchener & nd Mari Ohnuki, 2007. "Capital Market Integration In Japan," IMES Discussion Paper Series 07-E-17, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CIRJE administrative office).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.