La décision d'innovation: cas des entreprises Tunisiennes de services
[Explaining the decisions to innovate: the case of Tunisian service firms]
AbstractIt is widely recognized that innovation is the major driver of economic growth and competitiveness. But, some works focus especially on analyzing the determinants and the effects of innovation while distinguishing product innovation to process innovation. This distinction is often regarded as a fundamental assumption but the way in which firms make the decision to innovate remains rarely tested. Based on a sample of 108 Tunisian service firms, the purpose of the paper is to explain the way in which firms make the decision to innovate: simultaneous (one-stage model) or sequential (two-stage model). Given the multiple discrete choices setting, we use a Multinomial Probit model (MNP). We find that the two-stage model has a statistically-significant advantage in predicting the innovation. This result suggests that, in practice, the sequential model illustrate well the innovation making-decision procedures.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 23084.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Innovation; Prise de décision; Secteur des services.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O33 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Technological Change: Choices and Consequences; Diffusion Processes
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- L80 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-04-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2011-04-23 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-ENT-2011-04-23 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2011-04-23 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2011-04-23 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pierre Mohnen & Pierre Therrien, 2005. "Comparing the Innovation Performance in Canadian, French and German Manufacturing Enterprises," CIRANO Working Papers 2005s-33, CIRANO.
- Bruno Crépon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998.
"Research, Innovation and Productivity : An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level,"
98-33, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairessec, 1998. "Research, Innovation And Productivi[Ty: An Econometric Analysis At The Firm Level," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 7(2), pages 115-158.
- Bruno Crepon & Emmanuel Duguet & Jacques Mairesse, 1998. "Research, Innovation, and Productivity: An Econometric Analysis at the Firm Level," NBER Working Papers 6696, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gallouj, Faiz & Weinstein, Olivier, 1997. "Innovation in services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 537-556, December.
- Emmanuel Duguet, 2006.
"Innovation height, spillovers and tfp growth at the firm level: Evidence from French manufacturing,"
Economics of Innovation and New Technology,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 415-442.
- DUGUET Emmanuel, 2004. "Innovation height, spillovers and TFP growth at the firm level: Evidence from French manufacturing," Development and Comp Systems 0411017, EconWPA.
- Baldwin,John R. & Hanel,Petr, 2003.
"Innovation and Knowledge Creation in an Open Economy,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521810869, April.
- Baldwin,John R. & Hanel,Petr, 2007. "Innovation and Knowledge Creation in an Open Economy," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521037136, April.
- Giulio Cainelli & Rinaldo Evangelista & Maria Savona, 2006. "Innovation and economic performance in services: a firm-level analysis," Cambridge Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 30(3), pages 435-458, May.
- Lööf, Hans & Heshmati, Almas, 2001.
"On the Relationship between Innovation and Performance: A sensitivity Analysis,"
Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance
0446, Stockholm School of Economics, revised 01 Oct 2001.
- Hans Loof & Almas Heshmati, 2006. "On the relationship between innovation and performance: A sensitivity analysis," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(4-5), pages 317-344.
- Wolfgang Becker & Juergen Dietz, 2002.
"R&D Cooperation and Innovation Activities of Firms - Evidence for the German Manufacturing Industry -,"
Discussion Paper Series
222, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Becker, Wolfgang & Dietz, Jurgen, 2004. "R&D cooperation and innovation activities of firms--evidence for the German manufacturing industry," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 209-223, March.
- Cohen, Wesley M & Klepper, Steven, 1996. "Firm Size and the Nature of Innovation within Industries: The Case of Process and Product R&D," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 78(2), pages 232-43, May.
- Maddala,G. S., 1986. "Limited-Dependent and Qualitative Variables in Econometrics," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521338257, April.
- Sirilli, Giorgio & Evangelista, Rinaldo, 1998. "Technological innovation in services and manufacturing: results from Italian surveys," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(9), pages 881-899, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.