Individual wage and reservation wage: efficient estimation of a simultaneous equation model with endogenous limited dependent variables
AbstractWe consider a simultaneous equation model with two endogenous limited dependent variables (individual wage and reservation wage) characterized by a selection mechanism determining a two-regimes endogenous-switching. We extend the FIML procedure proposed by Poirier-Ruud (1981) for a single equation switching model providing a stochastic specification for both equations and for the selection criterion. An accurate Monte Carlo experiment shows that the relative efficiency of the FIML estimator over to the Two-Stage procedure is remarkably high in presence of a high degree of endogeneity in the selection equation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 22984.
Date of creation: 23 Sep 2009
Date of revision:
Selection bias; endogenous switching;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-06-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2010-06-11 (Econometrics)
- NEP-LAB-2010-06-11 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Heckman, James J, 1978.
"Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(4), pages 931-59, July.
- James J. Heckman, 1977. "Dummy Endogenous Variables in a Simultaneous Equation System," NBER Working Papers 0177, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Heckman, J J & Tobias, Justin & Vytlacil, Ed, 2003.
"Simple Estimators for Treatment Parameters in a Latent Variable Framework,"
Staff General Research Papers
12012, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- James Heckman & Justin L. Tobias & Edward Vytlacil, 2003. "Simple Estimators for Treatment Parameters in a Latent-Variable Framework," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 85(3), pages 748-755, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.