The pattern of Euronext volatility in the crisis period: an intrinsic volatility analysis
AbstractThe pathology of the financial instability is inter alia characterized by structural changes in the market prices’ volatility. Such changes are the expression of investor’s uncertainty in regard to the market’s dynamics and lead to systematic anticipation errors. The objective of this paper is to study the modifications in the most significant European index -EURONEXT, in the aftermath of financial crisis. The methodology consists in the estimation of the so called intrinsic volatility in index daily data, during pre and current crisis period. Also, it is a study on the structural changes in this volatility based on Quandt-Andrews Break point test. The main output consists in the thesis that for the financial crisis’ period there are specific rapid adjustments in short run anticipations and the appearance of global picks in market dynamics
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 20145.
Date of creation: 10 Dec 2009
Date of revision:
crisis volatility prices structural changes;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G10 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - General (includes Measurement and Data)
- G01 - Financial Economics - - General - - - Financial Crises
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Werner Ploberger, 1992.
"Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only Under the Alternative,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1015, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W K & Ploberger, Werner, 1994. "Optimal Tests When a Nuisance Parameter Is Present Only under the Alternative," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 62(6), pages 1383-1414, November.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Andrews, Donald W K, 1993.
"Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point,"
Econometric Society, vol. 61(4), pages 821-56, July.
- Donald W.K. Andrews, 1990. "Tests for Parameter Instability and Structural Change with Unknown Change Point," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 943, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Brisley, Neil & Theobald, Michael, 1996. " A Simple Measure of Price Adjustment Coefficients: A Correction," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 381-82, March.
- Engle, Robert F & Granger, Clive W J, 1987. "Co-integration and Error Correction: Representation, Estimation, and Testing," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(2), pages 251-76, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.