Inflation Targeting and the Crisis: An Empirical Assessment
AbstractThis paper appraises how countries with inflation targeting fared during the current crisis, with the goal of establishing the stylized facts that will guide and motivate future research. We find that relative to other countries, IT countries lowered nominal policy rates by more and this loosening translated into an even larger differential in real interest rates; were less likely to face deflation scares; and saw sharp real depreciations not associated with a greater perception of risk by markets. We also find some weak evidence that IT countries did better on unemployment rates and advanced IT countries have had relatively stronger industrial production performance. Finally, we find that advanced IT countries had higher GDP growth rates than their non-IT peers, but no such difference for emerging countries or the full sample.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 19960.
Date of creation: 11 Jan 2010
Date of revision:
Inflation targeting; economic crisis; monetary policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E00 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2010-01-23 (Central Banking)
- NEP-MAC-2010-01-23 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2010-01-23 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Olivier J. Blanchard & Jordi Galí, 2005.
"Real wage rigidities and the New Keynesian model,"
Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Blanchard, Olivier J & Galí, Jordi, 2005. "Real Wage Rigidities and the New Keynesian Model," CEPR Discussion Papers 5375, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olivier Blanchard & Jordi Galí, 2005. "Real Wage Rigidities and the New Keynesian Model," Working Papers 243, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Olivier Blanchard & Jordi Gali, 2005. "Real Wage Rigidities and the New Keynesian Model," NBER Working Papers 11806, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Olivier Blanchard & Jordi Galí, 2005. "Real wage rigidities and the new Keynesian model," Economics Working Papers 912, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Oct 2005.
- Olivier Blanchard & Jordi Galí, 2005. "Real wage rigidities and the New Keynesian model," Working Papers 05-14, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston.
- Mendoza, Enrique G, 1995. "The Terms of Trade, the Real Exchange Rate, and Economic Fluctuations," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 36(1), pages 101-37, February.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2006.
"Monetary Policy Under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
396, Central Bank of Chile.
- Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel, 2007. "Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction," Central Banking, Analysis, and Economic Policies Book Series, in: Frederic S. Miskin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel & Norman Loayza (Series Editor) & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel (Se (ed.), Monetary Policy under Inflation Targeting, edition 1, volume 11, chapter 1, pages 001-022 Central Bank of Chile.
- Frederic S. Mishkin & Klaus Schmidt-Hebbel D., 2006. "Monetary Policy Under Inflation Targeting: An Introduction," Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 9(3), pages 5-17, December.
- Olivier J. Blanchard, 2009. "The Crisis," IMF Working Papers 09/80, International Monetary Fund.
- Gauti B. Eggertsson & Michael Woodford, 2003. "The Zero Bound on Interest Rates and Optimal Monetary Policy," Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 34(1), pages 139-235.
- Inci Ã–tker & David VÃ¡vra & Francisco F. VÃ¡zquez & Luis Ignacio JÃ¡come & Karl Friedrich Habermeier & Kotaro Ishi & Alessandro Giustiniani & Turgut Kisinbay, 2009. "Inflation Pressures and Monetary Policy Options in Emerging and Developing Countries-A Cross Regional Perspective," IMF Working Papers 09/1, International Monetary Fund.
- Christopher W. Crowe & Jonathan David Ostry & Jun Il Kim & Marcos Chamon & Atish R. Ghosh, 2009. "Coping with the Crisis," IMF Staff Position Notes 2009/08, International Monetary Fund.
- Brito, Ricardo D. & Bystedt, Brianne, 2010.
"Inflation targeting in emerging economies: Panel evidence,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 91(2), pages 198-210, March.
- Bystedt, Brianne & Brito, Ricardo D., 2008. "Inflation targeting in emerging economies: Panel evidence," Insper Working Papers wpe_125, Insper Working Paper, Insper Instituto de Ensino e Pesquisa.
- Scott Roger, 2009. "Inflation Targeting At 20," IMF Working Papers 09/236, International Monetary Fund.
- Goncalves, Carlos Eduardo S. & Salles, Joao M., 2008. "Inflation targeting in emerging economies: What do the data say?," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 312-318, February.
- Broda, Christian, 2004. "Terms of trade and exchange rate regimes in developing countries," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 63(1), pages 31-58, May.
- Charles Freedman & Douglas Laxton, 2009. "Why Inflation Targeting?," IMF Working Papers 09/86, International Monetary Fund.
- Olivier Blanchard, 2009. "The Crisis: Basic Mechanisms and Appropriate Policies," CESifo Forum, Ifo Institute for Economic Research at the University of Munich, vol. 10(1), pages 3-14, 04.
- Thorvardur Tjörvi Ólafsson & Thórarinn G. Pétursson, 2010. "Weathering the financial storm: The importance of fundamentals and flexibility," Economics Working Papers 2010-17, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Felipe Jaque S. & Alfredo Pistelli M, 2011. "Impacto de la Crisis Financiera Global del 2008-09: ¿Qué Explica las Diferencias de Crecimiento entre Países?," Notas de Investigación Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy), Central Bank of Chile, vol. 14(1), pages 69-78, April.
- Kenji Moriyama, 2011. "Inflation Inertia in Egypt and its Policy Implications," IMF Working Papers 11/160, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.