Asset Liability Management in Insurance Company
AbstractThe model, by using the option theory, determines the fair value of the policies life with different time of maturity and shows that the effective liabilities duration of an Insurance Company exposed to the default-risk is different from the duration of a default-free zero coupon bond with the same time of maturity. Furthermore, it shows that the value of equity can be immunized in a dynamic way with respect to the movement of the spot-rate by selling and purchasing the default-free bonds in the firm asset. Moreover, the equity value, by the right bond allocation, can be immunized without varying continually the weight of the bonds on the firm asset. Furthermore, it considers the surrender option and the mortally issue such that it corrects some pitfalls that are commonly encountered in the insurance industry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 16333.
Date of creation: Jun 2006
Date of revision: Jan 2009
Contingent Claim; Duration; Immunization;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G22 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Insurance; Insurance Companies; Actuarial Studies
- G13 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Contingent Pricing; Futures Pricing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Merton, Robert C., 1973.
"On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates,"
684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974. "On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Geske, Robert & Johnson, Herb E, 1984. " The American Put Option Valued Analytically," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 39(5), pages 1511-24, December.
- David F. Babbel & Craig Merrill, 1997. "Economic Valuation Models for Insurers," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-44, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Vasicek, Oldrich, 1977. "An equilibrium characterization of the term structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 177-188, November.
- Giandomenico, Rossano, 2006. "Martingale Model," MPRA Paper 21973, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vasicek, Oldrich Alfonso, 1977. "Abstract: An Equilibrium Characterization of the Term Structure," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 627-627, November.
- Duffie, Darrell & Singleton, Kenneth J, 1997. " An Econometric Model of the Term Structure of Interest-Rate Swap Yields," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1287-1321, September.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Briys, Eric & de Varenne, François, 1997. "Valuing Risky Fixed Rate Debt: An Extension," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 32(02), pages 239-248, June.
- Geske, Robert, 1979. "The valuation of compound options," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 63-81, March.
- Giandomenico, Rossano, 2008. "Valuing Coupon Bond Linked to Variable Interest Rate," MPRA Paper 21974, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.