Inconsistency of the QMLE and asymptotic normality of the weighted LSE for a class of conditionally heteroscedastic models
AbstractThis paper considers a class of finite-order autoregressive linear ARCH models. The model captures the leverage effect, allows the volatility to be zero and to reach its minimum for non-zero innovations, and is appropriate for long-memory modeling when infinite orders are allowed. It is shown that the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator is, in general, inconsistent. To solve this problem, we propose a self-weighted least-squares estimator and show that this estimator is asymptotically normal. Furthermore, a score test for conditional homoscedasticity and diagnostic portmanteau tests are developed. The latter have an asymptotic distribution which is far from the standard chi-square. Simulation experiments are carried out to assess the performance of the proposed estimator.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 15147.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Conditional homoscedasticity testing; Inconsistent estimator; Leverage effect; Linear ARCH; Quasi-maximum likelihood; Weighted least-squares;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-05-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2009-05-16 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2009-05-16 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2009-05-16 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bougerol, Philippe & Picard, Nico, 1992. "Stationarity of Garch processes and of some nonnegative time series," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 115-127.
- Beran, Jan, 2006. "On location estimation for LARCH processes," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 97(8), pages 1766-1782, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.