Dynamics, Welfare and Migration in Open Economies
AbstractIn this work we analyze the importance of dynamics in the determination of the distribution of gains from free trade and migration. Given a transition dynamic, free trade might worsen a country relatively to autarchy. Moreover, some individuals might lose welfare during the transition dynamics. In both case, individuals find incentives to migrating, given the lost in the welfare relatively to the autarchy; given the lost in welfare relatively to another country; or, given the intertemporal lost in welfare. Then, inequalities in the distribution of the benefits from free trade matters. Finally, we find out that population size and specialization in production matters in the determination of the distribution of gains from free trade and migration.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 1388.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
Migration; free trade; welfare; transition dynamics;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J61 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers - - - Geographic Labor Mobility; Immigrant Workers
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stark, Oded & Bloom, David E, 1985. "The New Economics of Labor Migration," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(2), pages 173-78, May.
- Bhagwati, Jagdish N. & Brecher, Richard A., 1980.
"National welfare in an open economy in the presence of foreign-owned factors of production,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 10(1), pages 103-115, February.
- J. Bhagwati & R. Brecher, 1978. "National Welfare in an Open Economy in the Presence of Foreign Owned Factors of Production," Working papers 224, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- J. N. Bhagwati & R. A. Brecher, 1979.
"Foreign Ownership and the Theory of Trade and Welfare,"
249, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Brecher, Richard A & Bhagwati, Jagdish N, 1981. "Foreign Ownership and the Theory of Trade and Welfare," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 89(3), pages 497-511, June.
- Brecher, Richard A, 1982. "Optimal Policy in the Presence of Licensed Technology from Abroad," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 90(5), pages 1072-78, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.