Forecasting international bandwidth capability
AbstractM-competition studies provide a set of stylized recommendations to enhance forecast reliability. However, no single method dominates across series, leading to consideration of the relationship between selected data characteristics and the reliability of alternative forecast methods. This study conducts an analysis of predictive accuracy in relation to Internet bandwidth loads. Extrapolation techniques that perform best in M-competitions perform relatively poorly in predicting Internet bandwidth loads. Such performance is attributed to Internet bandwidth data exhibiting considerably less structure than M-competition data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10822.
Date of creation: 2005
Date of revision:
Bandwidth; forecast comparisons;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L96 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Telecommunications
- C53 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Forecasting and Prediction Models; Simulation Methods
- E17 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Fildes, Robert & Hibon, Michele & Makridakis, Spyros & Meade, Nigel, 1998. "Generalising about univariate forecasting methods: further empirical evidence," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 339-358, September.
- Armstrong, J. Scott & Collopy, Fred, 1992. "Error measures for generalizing about forecasting methods: Empirical comparisons," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 69-80, June.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Chatfield, Chris & Hibon, Michele & Lawrence, Michael & Mills, Terence & Ord, Keith & Simmons, LeRoy F., 1993. "The M2-competition: A real-time judgmentally based forecasting study," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 5-22, April.
- Makridakis, Spyros & Hibon, Michele, 2000. "The M3-Competition: results, conclusions and implications," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 16(4), pages 451-476.
- Fildes, Robert, 1992. "The evaluation of extrapolative forecasting methods," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 8(1), pages 81-98, June.
- Madden, Gary G & Tan, Joachim, 2008.
"Forecasting international bandwidth capacity using linear and ANN methods,"
13005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary Madden & Joachim Tan, 2008. "Forecasting international bandwidth capacity using linear and ANN methods," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(14), pages 1775-1787.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.