Technology, investment and trade: empirical evidence for five Asia-Pacific countries
AbstractTraditional models of international trade flows find that prices explain significant growth in export market shares. In the new international trade theory non-price factors are seen to be of great importance for the explanation of trade. Following Magnier and Toujas-Bernate (1994), this study introduces non-price factors, namely gross fixed investment and technology (number of patents accepted), into the export market share equation. Empirical estimation is carried out on five Asia-Pacific countries for the period 1978 to 1993. Results are similar to those of Magnier and Toujas-Bernate (1994) for the OECD, which show that non-price factors have played an important role in determining export market share during the last decade.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 10585.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in Applied Economics Letters 6.6(1999): pp. 361-363
Other versions of this item:
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage & Su Yin Thong, 1999. "Technology, investment and trade: empirical evidence for five Asia-Pacific countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(6), pages 361-363.
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bart Verspagen & Katharine Wakelin, 1997. "Trade and Technology from a Schumpeterian Perspective," International Review of Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(2), pages 181-194.
- Barbara J. Spencer & James A. Brander, 1982.
"International R&D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy,"
518, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Spencer, Barbara J & Brander, James A, 1983. "International R & D Rivalry and Industrial Strategy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 707-22, October.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Hedi D. Kallal & Jose A. Scheinkman & Andrei Shleifer, 1991.
"Growth in Cities,"
NBER Working Papers
3787, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1989.
"Differences in income elasticities and trends in real exchange rates,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 33(5), pages 1031-1046, May.
- Paul Krugman, 1989. "Differences In Income Elasticities and Trends in Real Exchange Rates," NBER Working Papers 2761, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krugman, Paul, 1983. "New Theories of Trade among Industrial Countries," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(2), pages 343-47, May.
- Fagerberg, Jan, 1988. "International Competitiveness," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 98(391), pages 355-74, June.
- M. Landesmann & M. Pfaffermayr, 1997. "Technological competition and trade performance," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(2), pages 179-196.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis & Bardaka, Ioanna, 2010.
"New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance,"
32047, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Athanasoglou, Panayiotis P. & Bardaka, Ioanna C., 2010. "New trade theory, non-price competitiveness and export performance," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 27(1), pages 217-228, January.
- Jing Cao & Felix Groba, 2013. "Chinese Renewable Energy Technology Exports: The Role of Policy, Innovation and Markets," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1263, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Christian Holzner & Mario Larch, 2011. "Capacity Constraining Labor Market Frictions in a Global Economy," CESifo Working Paper Series 3597, CESifo Group Munich.
- Panayiotis P. Athanasoglou & Ioanna C. Bardaka, 2008. "Price and Non - Price Competitiveness of Exports of Manufactures," Working Papers 69, Bank of Greece.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.