Technological competition and trade performance
AbstractThis paper estimates a demand system for OECD exports differentiated by country of origin for two ISIC industries (non-electrical machinery, electrical machinery) and for total manufacturing exports. It develops a generalized form of the AIDS demand system in which research and development (R&D) effort enters in a number of ways to affect a particular supplier's competitiveness: R&D activity relative to competitors affects, on the one hand, relative cost competitiveness and, on the other hand, the producer's position in the quality spectrum of products offered on international markets. One of the interesting insights gained from the study is that 'effectiveness' of R&D effort can differ much across different economies. It is conjectured that a country's position in an international catching-up process may be partly responsible for such differences as well as labour market dynamics which link increased labour costs to cost- and quality-improvements.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 29 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Madden, Gary G & Savage, Scott J & Thong, Su Yin, 1999.
"Technology, investment and trade: empirical evidence for five Asia-Pacific countries,"
10585, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gary Madden & Scott Savage & Su Yin Thong, 1999. "Technology, investment and trade: empirical evidence for five Asia-Pacific countries," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(6), pages 361-363.
- Yvonne Wolfmayr, 2008. "Producer Services and Competitiveness of Manufacturing Exports," FIW Research Reports series I-009, FIW.
- Sarah Guillou, 2006.
"Competitiveness and export market shares in high tech industries in the US and the EMU countries: a comparative study,"
Documents de Travail de l'OFCE
2006-18, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Sarah Guillou, 2006. "Competitiveness and export market shares in high tech industries in the US and the EMU countries: A comparative study," Sciences Po publications 2006-18, Sciences Po.
- Alexander F. Wagner & Mathias Dufour & Friedrich Schneider, 2003.
"Satisfaction not Guaranteed - Institutions and Satisfaction with Democracy in Western Europe,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
910, CESifo Group Munich.
- Friedrich Schneider & Alexander F. Wagner & Mathias Dufour, 2003. "Satisfaction not guaranteed-Institutions and satisfaction with democracy in Western Europe," Economics working papers 2003-03, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Friedrich Schneider & Alexander F. Wagner, 2003. "Tradeable permits - Ten key design issues," Economics working papers 2003-04, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Friedrich Schneider & Kausik Chaudhuri & Sumana Chatterjee, 2003. "The Size and Development of the Indian Shadow Economy and a Comparison with other 18 Asian Countries: An Empirical Investigation," Economics working papers 2003-02, Department of Economics, Johannes Kepler University Linz, Austria.
- Sarah Guillou, 2006.
"Les industries de haute technologie de la zone euro et des États-Unis. Une étude comparée de la compétitivité et des parts de marché,"
Revue de l'OFCE,
Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 98(3), pages 37-76.
- Sarah Guillou, 2006. "Les industries de haute technologie de la zone euro et des Etats-Unis : une étude comparée de la compétitivité et des parts de marché," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/7305, Sciences Po.
- Sara Bercenilla Visús & Mª Dolores Montávez Garcés, 2000. "La Competitividad Externa De Las Manufacturas Españolas: Un Análisis Dinámico Para El Período 1973-1993," Documentos de Trabajo - Lan Gaiak Departamento de EconomÃa - Universidad PÃºblica de Navarra 0008, Departamento de Economía - Universidad Pública de Navarra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.