Micro credit and Territory - Portugal as a case study
AbstractThis paper studies the relations between micro credit and territory, assuming that micro credit is an important instrument for fighting against poverty and social exclusion. Based on a micro-level database provided by ANDC (Associação Nacional de Direito ao Crédito), we developed a statistical and econometric work in order to identify the territorial idiosyncrasies associated with the employment of micro credit in Portugal. Focusing on the survival of the micro credit projects in the period of 2006-2009, our study sustains the significance of variables such as the population density, the value added growth in each activity and the promoters’ qualifications, besides two regional dummies, for firms’ survival.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 400.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Micro credit; Territory; Poverty;
Other versions of this item:
- Joana Afonso & Isabel Mota & Sandra Silva, 2012. "Micro Credit and Territory: Portugal as a case study," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 35, pages 40-58, June.
- G21 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Banks; Other Depository Institutions; Micro Finance Institutions; Mortgages
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- P. Holmes & A. Hunt & I. Stone, 2010. "An analysis of new firm survival using a hazard function," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(2), pages 185-195.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-45, September.
- José Mata & Pedro Portugal, 2001. "The Survival of New Domestic and Foreign Owned Firms," Working Papers w200101, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.