Local and global dominance conditions for the weighted earliness scheduling problem with no idle time
AbstractIn this paper, we present several local and global dominance conditions for the single machine weighted earliness scheduling problem with no idle time. We also propose an improvement algorithm that uses these conditions and can be applied to improve the sequence given by a heuristic procedure. This algorithm can be used to improve not only upper bounds for the weighted earliness criterion, but also lower bounds for the earliness/tardiness scheduling problem. The computational tests show that, in both of these cases, the improvement algorithm is superior to an initial heuristic schedule, as well as an existing adjacency condition.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto in its series FEP Working Papers with number 156.
Length: 21 pages.
Date of creation: Sep 2004
Date of revision:
scheduling; weighted earliness; dominance rules;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-09-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aurora Teixeira, 2002. "On the Link between Human Capital and Firm Performance. A Theoretical and Empirical Survey," FEP Working Papers 121, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Aurora Teixeira, 2003. "Does Inertia Pay Off? Empirical assessment of an evolutionary-ecological model of human capital decisions at firm level," FEP Working Papers 124, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Carlos Alves & Victor Mendes, 2001. "Corporate Governance Policy and Company Performance: The Case of Portugal," FEP Working Papers 112, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- George Li, 1997. "Single machine earliness and tardiness scheduling," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 96(3), pages 546-558, February.
- Álvaro Almeida, 2003. "40 Years of Monetary Targets and Financial Crises in 20 OECD Countries," FEP Working Papers 128, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Pedro Cosme da Costa Vieira, 2003. "The Impact of Monetary Shocks on Product and Wages: A neoclassical aggregated dynamic model," FEP Working Papers 132, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Aurora Teixeira & Natércia Fortuna, 2003. "Human Capital, Innovation Capability and Economic Growth," FEP Working Papers 131, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
- Ana Paula Serra, 2002. "Event Study Tests: A brief survey," FEP Working Papers 117, Universidade do Porto, Faculdade de Economia do Porto.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.