Inferior Factor in Cournot Oligopoly Revisited
AbstractWe reconsider the recent work by [Oku10] on (possibly asymmetric) Cournotian firms with two production factors, one of them being inferior. It is shown there that an increase in the price of the inferior factor does raise equilibrium industry output. In addition of providing a simpler and more rigorous proof of such a result, we generalize it to the case of technologies with s = 2 factors and allow some firms not to use the inferior one.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Pavia, Department of Economics and Management in its series DEM Working Papers Series with number 005.
Length: 6 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2012
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D43 - Microeconomics - - Market Structure and Pricing - - - Oligopoly and Other Forms of Market Imperfection
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-11-11 (Business Economics)
- NEP-COM-2012-11-11 (Industrial Competition)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paolo Bertoletti & Giorgio Rampa, 2013. "On inferior inputs and marginal returns," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 109(3), pages 303-313, July.
- Novshek, William., 1984.
"On the Existence of Cournot Equilibrium,"
Working Papers, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences
517, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Koji Okuguchi, 2010. "Inferior factor in Cournot oligopoly," Journal of Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 101(2), pages 125-131, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alice Albonico).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.