Globalisation and Labour Markets in Boom and Crisis: The Case of Vietnam
AbstractThis paper examines the impact of the global financial crisis on the Vietnam labour market against the backdrop of economic performance and labour dynamics before the crisis. The impact on labour has been milder compared with several neighbouring countries, than might have been expected for a country with Vietnam’s degree of international exposure. This can attributed to the timely stimulus package of late 2008, the tight labour market before the crisis, the competitive nature of Vietnam’s key exports and the private sector’s capacity to compete globally. Although flexible labour markets have ensured low unemployment, we argue that aspects of the institutional environment have contributed to slower labour market adjustment. Shortages of skilled labour, labour market rigidities and an under-developed industrial relations system could delay recovery and constrain future growth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Australian National University, Arndt-Corden Department of Economics in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2009-17.
Length: 53 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Crawford Building, Lennox Crossing, Building #132, Canberra ACT 0200
Phone: +61 2 6125 4705
Fax: +61 2 6125 5448
Web page: https://crawford.anu.edu.au/acde/publications/
More information through EDIRC
global financial crisis; exports; FDI; employment; labour market adjustment; labour institutions; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J21 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Force and Employment, Size, and Structure
- J23 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Labor Demand
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J48 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - Particular Labor Markets; Public Policy
- O14 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Industrialization; Manufacturing and Service Industries; Choice of Technology
- O15 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Economic Development: Human Resources; Human Development; Income Distribution; Migration
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2009-11-14 (Development)
- NEP-LAB-2009-11-14 (Labour Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ian Coxhead & Vu Hoang Linh & Le Dong Tam, 2012.
"Global market shocks and poverty in Vietnam: the case of rice,"
International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 43(5), pages 575-592, 09.
- Ian Coxhead & Vu Hoang Linh & Le Dong Tam, 2012. "Global market shocks and poverty in Vietnam: the case of rice," Working Papers 32, Development and Policies Research Center (DEPOCEN), Vietnam.
- Coxhead, Ian & Linh, Vu Hoang & Le, Dong Tam, 2011. "Global Market Shocks and Poverty in Vietnam: The Case of Rice," Staff Paper Series 559, University of Wisconsin, Agricultural and Applied Economics.
- Rossana Patrón, 2012. "Short-term specificity and training: Key issues for economic restructuring," Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) 0212, Department of Economics - dECON.
- Mustapha K. Nabli, 2011. "The Great Recession and Developing Countries : Economic Impact and Growth Prospects," World Bank Publications, The World Bank, number 2539, February.
- Brennan, Donna C. & Petersen, Elizabeth H. & Que, Nguyen Ngoc & Vanzetti, David, 2012. "Rural-Urban Migration and Vietnamese Agriculture," 2012 Conference (56th), February 7-10, 2012, Freemantle, Australia 124405, Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society.
- Rossana Patron, 2013. "Recovery not fast enough? Notes on speeding up," Discussion Papers 13/06, University of Nottingham, School of Economics.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.