Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve
AbstractWe show, in an exchange economy with default, liquidity constraints and no aggregate uncertainty, that state prices in a complete markets general equilibrium are a function of the supply of liquidity by the Central Bank. Our model is derived along the lines of Dubey and Geanakoplos (1992). Two agents trade goods and nominal assets (Arrow-Debreu (AD) securities) to smooth consumption across periods and future states, in the presence of cash-in-advance financing costs. We show that, with Von Neumann-Morgenstern logarithmic utility functions, the price of AD securities, are inversely related to liquidity. The upshot of our argument is that agents` expectations computed using risk-neutral probabilities give more weight in the states with higher interest rates. This result cannot be found in a Lucas-type representative agent general equilibrium model where there is neither trade or money nor default. Hence, an upward yield curve can be supported in equilibrium, even though short-term interest rates are fairly stable. The risk-premium in the term structure is therefore a pure default risk premium.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Oxford, Department of Economics in its series Economics Series Working Papers with number 2007-FE-01.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2007
Date of revision:
Cash-in-advance constraints; Risk-neutral probabilities; State prices; Term structure of interest rates;
Other versions of this item:
- Raphael Espinoza & Dimitrios Tsomocos & Charles Goodhart, 2007. "Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve," FMG Discussion Papers dp583, Financial Markets Group.
- Raphael A. Espinoza & Charles A. E. Goodhart & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2006. "Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve," OFRC Working Papers Series 2006fe15, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- Raphael A. Espinoza & Charles A. E. Goodhart & Dimitrios P. Tsomocos, 2007. "Endogenous State Prices, Liquidity, Default, and the Yield Curve," OFRC Working Papers Series 2007fe01, Oxford Financial Research Centre.
- E43 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Interest Rates: Determination, Term Structure, and Effects
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Caroline Wise).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.