Beyond Corporate Social Responsibility: Foundations and global retailers
AbstractThis paper focuses on institutional philanthropy by retail firms, utilizing foundations connected to the top 50 global retailers as a case study. The purpose of this research is threefold: 1) To explore the philanthropic propensity of global retailers; 2) To define a typology of foundations connected to them; and 3) To explore the role played by those foundations in the context of the CSR strategies of their connected firms. Results confirm, on the one hand, the high philanthropic propensity of top global retailers and, on the other hand, that potential benefits of connected instrumental foundations go beyond those attributed to conventional CSR and traditional corporate giving by previous literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Catedra Fundación Ramón Areces de Distribución Comercial in its series DOCFRADIS Working Papers with number 1206.
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision: Sep 2012
Publication status: published
Filantropía corporativa; Responsabilidad social corporativa (RSC); Fundaciones; Empresas de distribución; Empresas familiares.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- M14 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Corporate Culture; Diversity; Social Responsibility
- L81 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Services - - - Retail and Wholesale Trade; e-Commerce
- M30 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - General
- L22 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Organization and Market Structure
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-HME-2012-10-06 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-MKT-2012-10-06 (Marketing)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Navarro, Peter, 1988. "Why Do Corporations Give to Charity?," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(1), pages 65-93, January.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Santiago Gonzalez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.