Money in the era of inflation targeting
AbstractThis paper provides evidence that the relationship between inflation and money growth has changed as the inflation-targeting regime has progressed. During the disinflation period (mid 1980s to mid or late 1991) the correlation between inflation and money aggregates was fairly consistent with the prediction of theory. Both inflation and money growth fell sharply. In 1992, inflation was stabilised around an average of little less than 2 per cent. Since then, the correlation between money growth and inflation has been fairly weak at the permanent (trend) and the business cycle frequencies. By contrast, there is a significant correlation between money and real GDP over the business cycle. As far as base velocity is concerned, it was stable up until December 1997, but broke down in late 1998. As money growth took off in the late 1990s, velocity declined rather sharply, but these downward trends are consistent with the decline of interest rates as predicted by the quantity theory of money. The demand for real-monetary base is well behaved and interest inelastic, but this relationship also broke down in late 1998. However, both velocity-interest rate and money demand function breakdown is probably only temporary. Finally, at least until March 1999, the rate of growth of the monetary base has, on average, been consistent with a nominal GDP targeting policy of 4 per cent.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Reserve Bank of New Zealand in its series Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series with number DP2001/02.
Date of creation: Jul 2001
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
- C13 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Estimation: General
- C22 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Time-Series Models; Dynamic Quantile Regressions; Dynamic Treatment Effect Models
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Siklos, Pierre L. & Eckhold, Kelly R., 1997. "Income Velocity in Turbulent Times: The Role of Institutional Factors in the New Zealand Experience," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 19(1), pages 31-52, January.
- Hall, R.E. & Mankiw, N.G., 1993.
"Nominal Income Targeting,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1650, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1994.
"The Use of a Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP,"
in: Monetary Policy, pages 7-69
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Feldstein & James H. Stock, 1993. "The Use of Monetary Aggregate to Target Nominal GDP," NBER Working Papers 4304, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Miguel Molico, 2006. "The Distribution Of Money And Prices In Search Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(3), pages 701-722, 08.
- Zellner, Arnold & Hong, Chansik & Min, Chung-ki, 1991. "Forecasting turning points in international output growth rates using Bayesian exponentially weighted autoregression, time-varying parameter, and pooling techniques," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 49(1-2), pages 275-304.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995.
"Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series,"
NBER Working Papers
5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999. "Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- David E. A. Giles, 1999.
"Modelling the Hidden Economy and the Tax-Gap in New Zealand,"
Econometrics Working Papers
9905, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- David E. A. Giles, 1999. "Modelling the hidden economy and the tax-gap in New Zealand," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 24(4), pages 621-640.
- David E. A. Giles, 1998. "Modelling the Hidden Economy and the Tax-Gap in New Zealand," Econometrics Working Papers 9810, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Svensson, Lars E. O., 2003.
"Money and inflation in the euro area: A case for monetary indicators?,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 50(8), pages 1649-1672, November.
- Gerlach, Stefan & Svensson, Lars E O, 2002. "Money and Inflation in the Euro-Area: A Case for Monetary Indicators?," CEPR Discussion Papers 3392, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stefan Gerlach & Lars E.O. Svensson, 2000. "Money and Inflation in the Euro Area: A Case for Monetary Indicators?," NBER Working Papers 8025, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lars E.O. Svensson & Stefan Gerlach, 2001. "Money and inflation in the Euro Area: A case for monetary indicators?," BIS Working Papers 98, Bank for International Settlements.
- McCallum, Bennett T., 1999.
"Issues in the design of monetary policy rules,"
Handbook of Macroeconomics,
in: J. B. Taylor & M. Woodford (ed.), Handbook of Macroeconomics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 23, pages 1483-1530
- J. Bradford De Long, 2000. "The Triumph of Monetarism?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 14(1), pages 83-94, Winter.
- Nicoletti-Altimari, Sergio, 2001. "Does money lead inflation in the euro area?," Working Paper Series 0063, European Central Bank.
- McCallum, Bennett T, 1985.
"On Consequences and Criticisms of Monetary Targeting,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 17(4), pages 570-97, November.
- Bennett T. McCallum, 1986. "On Consequences and Criticisms of Monetary Targeting," NBER Working Papers 1596, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wallace, Neil, 1997. "Short-Run and Long-Run Effects of Changes in Money in a Random-Matching Model," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 105(6), pages 1293-1307, December.
- Zellner, Arnold & Min, Chung-ki, 1998. "Forecasting turning points in countries' output growth rates: A response to Milton Friedman," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 88(2), pages 203-206, November.
- Mccallum, Bennet T., 1988. "Robustness properties of a rule for monetary policy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 173-203, January.
- David Laidler, 1999. "Passive Money, Active Money, and Monetary Policy," Bank of Canada Review, Bank of Canada, vol. 1999(Summer), pages 15-25.
- Elliott, Graham, 1999.
"Efficient Tests for a Unit Root When the Initial Observation Is Drawn from Its Unconditional Distribution,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(3), pages 767-83, August.
- Tom Doan, . "ERSTEST: RATS procedure to perform Elliott-Rothenberg-Stock unit root tests," Statistical Software Components RTS00066, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Pagan, Adrian, 1974. "A Generalised Approach to the Treatment of Autocorrelation," Australian Economic Papers, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(23), pages 267-80, December.
- Harding, Don & Pagan, Adrian, 2002.
"Dissecting the cycle: a methodological investigation,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 365-381, March.
- Don Harding & Adrian Pagan, 2000. "Disecting the Cycle: A Methodological Investigation," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1164, Econometric Society.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Mico Loretan, 1989.
"Estimating Long Run Economic Equilibria,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
928, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Robert J. Gordon, 1985. "The Conduct of Domestic Monetary Policy," NBER Working Papers 1221, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Aaron Drew & L Christopher Plantier, 2000. "Interest rate smoothing in New Zealand and other dollar bloc countries," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP2000/10, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Lucas, Robert E, Jr, 1973. "Some International Evidence on Output-Inflation Tradeoffs," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 63(3), pages 326-34, June.
- John B. Taylor, 1998. "Monetary policy and the long boom," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 3-12.
- Professor Lars E O Svensson, 2001. "Independent review of the operation of monetary policy in New Zealand," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 64, March.
- William Poole, 1994. "Monetary aggregates targeting in a low-inflation economy," Conference Series ; [Proceedings], Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, pages 87-135.
- Kumar, Saten & Webber, Don J., 2010.
"Australasian money demand stability: Application of structural break tests,"
27569, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Saten Kumar & Don J. Webber, 2013. "Australasian money demand stability: application of structural break tests," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 45(8), pages 1011-1025, March.
- Don J. Webber & Saten Kumar, 2011. "Australasian money demand stability:Application of structural break tests," Working Papers 1101, Department of Accounting, Economics and Finance, Bristol Business School, University of the West of England, Bristol.
- Nicholas Rowe, 2002. "How to Improve Inflation Targeting at the Bank of Canada," Working Papers 02-23, Bank of Canada.
- Philip Liu, 2004. "Improving implementation of inflation targeting in New Zealand: an investigation of the Reserve Bank's inflation errors," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Discussion Paper Series DP 2004/06, Reserve Bank of New Zealand.
- Abbas Valadkhani, 2003. "Long and Short-Run Determinants of Money Demand in New Zealand: Evidence from Cointegration Analysis," School of Economics and Finance Discussion Papers and Working Papers Series 132, School of Economics and Finance, Queensland University of Technology.
- Francisco Rosende & MatÃas Tapia, 2006. "La CaÃda de la InflaciÃ³n en Chile: PolÃticas, Instituciones y Suerte," Documentos de Trabajo 308, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Francisco Rosende R., 2004. "El marco teórico de la política monetaria," Revista de Analisis Economico – Economic Analysis Review, Ilades-Georgetown University, Economics Department, vol. 19(2), pages 85-117, December.
- Francisco Rosende, 2004. "El Marco TeÃ³rico de la PolÃtica Monetaria," Documentos de Trabajo 273, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
- Chris Bloor & Chris Hunt & Tim Ng & Hamish Pepper, 2008. "The use of money and credit measures in contemporary monetary policy," Reserve Bank of New Zealand Bulletin, Reserve Bank of New Zealand, vol. 71, March.
- Gancho Todorov Ganchev, 2010. "On the Utility of Money," Economic Studies journal, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences - Economic Research Institute, issue 1, pages 32-60.
- Francisco Rosende, 2003. "ConducciÃ³n de la PolÃtica Monetaria," Documentos de Trabajo 247, Instituto de Economia. Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile..
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Reserve Bank of New Zealand Knowledge Centre).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.