Transparency, Risk Management and International Financial Fragility
AbstractDiscussions of financial risk often fail to distinguish between risks that are consciously borne and those that are not. To understand the breeding conditions for financial crises the prime focus of concern should not be simply on large risk-taking per se, but on the unintended, or unanticipated accumulation of large risks by individuals, institutions or governments, often through the lack of knowledge or understanding of the risks by stakeholders and overseers of those entities. This paper analyses specific situations in which significant unanticipated and unintended financial risks are accumulated. It focuses, in particular, on the implicit guarantees that governments extend to banks and other financial institutions, which may result in the accumulation, often unconscious from the viewpoint of the government, of unanticipated risks in the balance sheet of the public sector. The paper also discusses how risk exposures can be measured, hedged and transferred through the use of derivatives, swap contracts, and other contractual agreements with specific reference to emerging markets.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 9806.
Date of creation: Jun 2003
Date of revision:
Publication status: published as Draghi, Mario, Francesco Giavazzi, and Robert C. Merton. Transparency, risk management and international financial fragility Geneva Reports on the World Economy, vol. 4. Geneva: International Center for Monetary and Banking Studies and London: Centre for Economic Policy Research, 2004.
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-CFN-2003-07-10 (Corporate Finance)
- NEP-FIN-2003-07-10 (Finance)
- NEP-RMG-2003-07-10 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Arvind Krishnamurthy, 2000. "Dollarization of Liabilities: Underinsurance and Domestic Financial Underdevelopment," NBER Working Papers 7792, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ricardo J. Caballero, 2003. "The Future of the IMF," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 93(2), pages 31-38, May.
- Caballero, Ricardo J. & Panageas, Stavros, 2008.
"Hedging sudden stops and precautionary contractions,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 85(1-2), pages 28-57, February.
- Ricardo J. Caballero & Stavros Panageas, 2003. "Hedging Sudden Stops and Precautionary Contractions," NBER Working Papers 9778, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jeromin Zettelmeyer & Olivier Jeanne, 2002. "Original Sin, Balance Sheet Crises, and the Roles of International Lending," IMF Working Papers 02/234, International Monetary Fund.
- Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 1992. "On the Management of Financial Guarantees," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 21(4), Winter.
- Cox, John C. & Ross, Stephen A., 1976. "The valuation of options for alternative stochastic processes," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(1-2), pages 145-166.
- Burnside, Craig & Eichenbaum, Martin & Rebelo, Sergio, 2004. "Government guarantees and self-fulfilling speculative attacks," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 119(1), pages 31-63, November.
- Claudio Borio & Craig Furfine & Philip Lowe, 2001. "Procyclicality of the financial system and financial stability: issues and policy options," BIS Papers chapters, in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Marrying the macro- and micro-prudential dimensions of financial stability, volume 1, pages 1-57 Bank for International Settlements.
- Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 2004. "The Design of Financial Systems: Towards a Synthesis of Function and Structure," NBER Working Papers 10620, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2011.
"Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets: A Survey,"
Working Paper Series
rwp11-003, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Dale F. Gray, 2013. "Modeling Banking, Sovereign, and Macro Risk in a CCA Global VAR," IMF Working Papers 13/218, International Monetary Fund.
- Dimitri Vittas, 2003. "The use of"asset swaps"by institutional investors in South Africa," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3175, The World Bank.
- Dale F. Gray & Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 2006. "A New Framework for Analyzing and Managing Macrofinancial Risks of an Economy," NBER Working Papers 12637, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mayes , David G., 2004.
"An approach to bank insolvency in transition and emerging economies,"
Research Discussion Papers
4/2004, Bank of Finland.
- David G. Mayes, 2004. "An approach to bank insolvency in transition and emerging economies," Finance 0404015, EconWPA.
- Edward J. Kane, 2005.
"Can the European Community Afford to Neglect the Need for More Accountable Safety-Net Management?,"
NBER Working Papers
11860, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward Kane, 2006. "Can the European Community Afford to Neglect the Need for More Accountable Safety-Net Management?," Atlantic Economic Journal, International Atlantic Economic Society, vol. 34(2), pages 127-144, June.
- Dale F. Gray; & Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 2009.
"New Framework for Measuring and Managing Macrofinancial Risk and Financial Stability,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
541, Central Bank of Chile.
- Dale F. Gray & Robert C. Merton & Zvi Bodie, 2007. "New Framework for Measuring and Managing Macrofinancial Risk and Financial Stability," NBER Working Papers 13607, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gianluigi Ferrucci, 2003. "Empirical determinants of emerging market economies' sovereign bond spreads," Bank of England working papers 205, Bank of England.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.