Immigration and Welfare, 1970-1990
AbstractThis paper uses the 1970, 1980, and 1990 Public Use Samples of the U.S. Census to trace the evolution of immigrant participation in welfare programs during the past two decades. The data indicate that immigrant participation in welfare programs is on the rise, and that the dollar costs associated with this trend are rising even faster. By 1990, immigrant households received a disproportionately high share of the cash benefits distributed in the United States. Even though only 8.4 percent of the households are foreign-born, these households accounted for 10.1 percent of all households that received public assistance, and for 13.1 percent of the total cash assistance distributed.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4872.
Date of creation: Sep 1994
Date of revision:
Note: LS PE
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J1 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics
- J6 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, Vacancies, and Immigrant Workers
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hansen, Jörgen & Löfström, Magnus, 2000.
"Immigrant Assimilation And Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into Or Out Of Welfare?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2430, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jorgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2003. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out of Welfare?," Journal of Human Resources, University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 38(1).
- JÃ¶rgen Hansen & Magnus Lofstrom, 2010. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare," Working Papers id:2647, eSocialSciences.
- Hansen, Jörgen & Lofstrom, Magnus, 1999. "Immigrant Assimilation and Welfare Participation: Do Immigrants Assimilate Into or Out-of Welfare," IZA Discussion Papers 100, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sari Pekkala Kerr & William R. Kerr, 2011.
"Economic Impacts of Immigration: A Survey,"
NBER Working Papers
16736, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.