Production, Financial Structure and Productivity Growth in U.S. Manufacturing
AbstractThe purpose of this paper is to estimate a model that incorporates the effects of financial decisions on production, profitability, and productivity growth. Asymmetric information generates agency costs of debt and signaling benefits of dividends which then influence production decisions. The model is applied to the U.S. manufacturing sector. Agency costs and signaling benefits are measured by their effects on profitability. A one percent increase in debt reduces variable profit by 0.04 percent, while a one percent increase in dividends raises variable profit by 0.12 percent. Agency costs also limit the adjustment of U.S. manufacturing to long-run equilibrium. On average, for $1.00 of funds raised through bond issues, debt adjustment cost is about $0.05. The dynamic efficiency of the manufacturing sector is affected by financial considerations. Signaling benefits contribute 4.2 percent to total factor productivity growth, while agency costs reduce efficiency by 3.3 percent. Thus the financial effects on dynamic efficiency approximately offset each other.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 4309.
Date of creation: Mar 1993
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Bernstein, J.I. & Nadiri, M.I., 1993. "Production, Financial Structure and Productivity Growth in U.S. Manufacturing," Working Papers 93-10, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James M. Poterba & Lawrence H. Summers, 1984.
"The Economic Effects of Dividend Taxation,"
343, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Steven M. Fazzari & R. Glenn Hubbard & BRUCE C. PETERSEN, 1988.
"Financing Constraints and Corporate Investment,"
Brookings Papers on Economic Activity,
Economic Studies Program, The Brookings Institution, vol. 19(1), pages 141-206.
- Morrison, C. J. & Berndt, E. R., 1981. "Short-run labor productivity in a dynamic model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 339-365, August.
- Greenwald, Bruce C. & Kohn, Meir & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1990.
"Financial market imperfections and productivity growth,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 13(3), pages 321-345, June.
- Bruce C. Greenwald & Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1991. "Financial Market Imperfections and Productivity Growth," NBER Working Papers 2945, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Greenwald, Bruce C. & Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1989. "Financial Market Imperfections and Productivity Growth," Working Paper Series 206, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Brander, James A & Spencer, Barbara J, 1989. "Moral Hazard and Limited Liability: Implications for the Theory of the Firm," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 30(4), pages 833-49, November.
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1988.
"Corporate Taxes And Incentives And The Structure Of Production: A Selected Survey,"
88-11, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Jeffrey I. Bernstein & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1988. "Corporate Taxes and Incentives and the Structure of Production: A Selected Survey," NBER Working Papers 2579, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Hayne E. Leland and David H. Pyle., 1976.
"Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
41, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E & Pyle, David H, 1977. "Informational Asymmetries, Financial Structure, and Financial Intermediation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 32(2), pages 371-87, May.
- Auerbach, Alan J, 1979.
"Wealth Maximization and the Cost of Capital,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 433-46, August.
- Caves, Douglas W & Christensen, Laurits R & Diewert, W Erwin, 1982. "The Economic Theory of Index Numbers and the Measurement of Input, Output, and Productivity," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(6), pages 1393-1414, November.
- Kim, Moshe & Maksimovic, Vojislav, 1990. "Technology, debt and the exploitation of growth options," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(6), pages 1113-1131, December.
- Myers, Stewart C., 1977. "Determinants of corporate borrowing," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 147-175, November.
- Pierre A. Mohnen & M. Ishaq Nadiri & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1984. "R&D, Production Structure, and Productivity Growth in the U.S., Japaneseand German Manufacturing Sectors," NBER Working Papers 1264, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jensen, Michael C. & Meckling, William H., 1976. "Theory of the firm: Managerial behavior, agency costs and ownership structure," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 305-360, October.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Dynamic Factor Demands and the Effects of Energy Price Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1066-79, December.
- Catherine J. Morrison, 1989. "Unraveling the Productivity Growth Slowdown in the U.S., Canada and Japan: The Effects of Subequilibrium, Scale Economies and Markup," NBER Working Papers 2993, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gatti, Roberta & Love, Inessa, 2008.
"Does access to credit improve productivity? Evidence from Bulgarian firms,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6676, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gatti, Roberta & Love, Inessa, 2006. "Does access to credit improve productivity ? Evidence from Bulgarian firms," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3921, The World Bank.
- Francisco Gallego Y. & Norman Loayza., 2000.
"Financial Structure in Chile: Macroeconomic Developments and Microeconomic Effects,"
Journal Economía Chilena (The Chilean Economy),
Central Bank of Chile, vol. 3(2), pages 5-30, August.
- Francisco Gallego & Norman Loayza, 2000. "Financial Structure in Chile: Macroeconomic Developments and Microeconomic Effects," Working Papers Central Bank of Chile 75, Central Bank of Chile.
- Francisco A. Gallego & Norman Loayza, 2000. "Financial Structure in Chile: Macroeconomic Developments and Microeconomic Effects," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1115, Econometric Society.
- Aktham Maghyereh, 2005. "Dynamic Capital Structure: Evidence From The Small Developing Country Of Jordan," IIUM Journal of Economics and Management, IIUM Journal of Economis and Management, vol. 13(1), pages 1-32, June.
- Sung-Bae Mun & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 2002. "Information Technology Externalities: Empirical Evidence from 42 U.S. Industries," NBER Working Papers 9272, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hailu, Getu & Jeffrey, Scott R. & Goddard, Ellen W. & Ng, Desmond W., 2004. "Incentive Incompatibility In Co-Operative Agribusiness Firms In Canada: Does Supply Management Matter?," Journal of Food Distribution Research, Food Distribution Research Society, vol. 35(01), March.
- Hossain, Ferdaus & Jain, Ruchi, 2001. "Financial Structure, Production and Productivity Growth in U.S. Food Manufacturing Industry," 2001 Annual meeting, August 5-8, Chicago, IL 20756, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.