Financing and Investment in Plant and Equipment and Research and Development
AbstractIn this stuy a dynamic model of firm behavior is developed which integrates real and financial decisions. The model combines the effects of capital structure and input adjustirent costs on the process of capital accumulation. The existence, uniqueness and stability conditions of the long-run eguilibrium and the dynamic properties of the factor demand are explored. The equations derived from the theoretical model are estimated using firm cross-section time series data. The results indicate that for both Plant and Equipment (P&E) and Research and Development (R&D),the debt-eguity ratio significantly affects the investment demands and the elasticities are highly inelastic. The effect is stronger for P&E than for R&D capital in the long run, while the effects on P&E and R&D investment are quite similar in the short run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc in its series NBER Working Papers with number 1017.
Date of creation: Nov 1982
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: National Bureau of Economic Research, 1050 Massachusetts Avenue Cambridge, MA 02138, U.S.A.
Web page: http://www.nber.org
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Bernstein, Jeffrey I. & Nadiri, M. Ishaq, 1982. "Financing and Investment in Plant and Equipment and Research and Development," Working Papers 82-27, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark Schankerman & M. Ishaq Nadiri, 1982. "Investment in R&D, Costs of Adjustment and Expectations," NBER Working Papers 0931, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Feldstein, Martin & Sheshinski, Eytan & Green, Jerry, 1979.
"Corporate Financial Policy and Taxation in a Growing Economy,"
3203643, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Feldstein, Martin S & Green, Jerry & Sheshinski, Eytan, 1979. "Corporate Financial Policy and Taxation in a Growing Economy," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 93(3), pages 411-32, August.
- Tobin, James, 1969. "A General Equilibrium Approach to Monetary Theory," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 1(1), pages 15-29, February.
- Engle, Robert F & Foley, Duncan K, 1975. "An Asset Price Model of Aggregate Investment," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 16(3), pages 625-47, October.
- Morrison, C. J. & Berndt, E. R., 1981. "Short-run labor productivity in a dynamic model," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 16(3), pages 339-365, August.
- Zvi Griliches, 1980.
"Returns to Research and Development Expenditures in the Private Sector,"
in: New Developments in Productivity Measurement, pages 419-462
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998. "Returns to Research and Development Expenditures in the Private Sector," NBER Chapters, in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 49-81 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brock, William A & Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1981. "The Analysis of Macroeconomic Policies in Perfect Foresight Equilibrium," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 22(1), pages 179-209, February.
- King, Mervyn A, 1974. "Taxation and the Cost of Capital," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 41(1), pages 21-35, January.
- Mussa, Michael L, 1977. "External and Internal Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Aggregate and Firm Investment," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 44(174), pages 163-78, May.
- Jorgenson, Dale W, 1971. "Econometric Studies of Investment Behavior: A Survey," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 9(4), pages 1111-47, December.
- Robert E. Lucas & Jr., 1967. "Adjustment Costs and the Theory of Supply," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 75, pages 321.
- Treadway, Arthur B, 1971. "The Rational Multivariate Flexible Accelerator," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 39(5), pages 845-55, September.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E., 1973. "Taxation, corporate financial policy, and the cost of capital," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 2(1), pages 1-34, February.
- M. Ishaq Nadiri & George C. Bitros, 1980. "Research and Development Expenditures and Labor Productivity at the Firm Level: A Dynamic Model," NBER Chapters, in: New Developments in Productivity Measurement, pages 387-418 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. D. Howe & D. G. McFetridge, 1976. "The Determinants of R & D Expenditures," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 9(1), pages 57-71, February.
- Bettina Becker & Stephen Hall, 2004.
"Foreign direct investment in industrial R&D and exchange rate uncertainty in the UK,"
Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003
4, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
- Bettina Becker & Stephen G. Hall, 2003. "Foreign Direct Investment in Industrial R&D and Exchange Rate Uncertainty in the UK," NIESR Discussion Papers 217, National Institute of Economic and Social Research.
- Harhoff, Dietmar, 1996.
"Are there financing constraints for R&D and investment in German manufacturing firms?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
96-28, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Dietmar HARHOFF, 1998. "Are there Financing Constraints for R&D and Investment in German Manufacturing Firms," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 49-50, pages 421-456.
- Dietmar Harhoff, 1997. "Are There Financing Constraints for R&D and Investment in German Manufacturing Firms?," CIG Working Papers FS IV 97-45, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Wang, Chenggang & Xia, Yin & Shoemaker, Robbin A. & Buccola, Steven T., 2006. "Public Investment Policy in Life-Science Research," 2006 Annual meeting, July 23-26, Long Beach, CA 21330, American Agricultural Economics Association (New Name 2008: Agricultural and Applied Economics Association).
- Michael Devereux & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1989.
"Investment, Finacial Factors and Cash Flow: Evidence From UK Panel Data,"
NBER Working Papers
3116, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Michael Devereux & Fabio Schiantarelli, 1990. "Investment, Financial Factors, and Cash Flow: Evidence from U.K. Panel Data," NBER Chapters, in: Asymmetric Information, Corporate Finance, and Investment, pages 279-306 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lambarraa, Fatima & Stefanou, Spiro E. & Gil, Jose Maria, 2009. "The analysis of irreversibility, uncertainty and dynamic technical inefficiency on the investment decision in Spanish olive sector," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51397, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Daniel J. Wilson, 2005. "Beggar thy neighbor? the in-state vs. out-of-state impact of state R&D tax credits," Working Paper Series 2005-08, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Samuel Kortum & Josh Lerner, 1998. "Does Venture Capital Spur Innovation?," NBER Working Papers 6846, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Marco Mazzoli, 2005. "Investments, financial structure and imperfect financial markets: An intertemporal discrete-time framework," The European Journal of Finance, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 11(3), pages 247-258.
- Marco Mazzoli, 2004. "Investments, financial structure and insiders' control of the cash-flow: an intertemporal discrete-time framework and a qualitative analysis," Money Macro and Finance (MMF) Research Group Conference 2003 61, Money Macro and Finance Research Group.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.