The Global Financial Crisis and Development: Implications for the Entrepreneurial Economy
AbstractThis paper provides an evaluation of the state of global development two years after the global financial crisis of 2008. It argues that in the wake of the crisis a number of re‐assessments of global development has taken place, especially with respect to (i) the surprising origins of the crisis, (ii) the surprising resilience of the developing world, and (iii) the shortcomings of the global financial architecture (GFA). Despite these re‐assessments, progress in dealing with the deep causes of the crisis has been slow, and there are strong vested interests against reform of the GFA due to the incentives that many years of deregulation and regulatory capture has created. These incentives influences entrepreneurial and managerial behaviour in ways that may frustrate reform and re‐regulation and leave global development vulnerable to further financial (and other) crises. The paper draws out some implications for the entrepreneurial economy.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Maastricht School of Management in its series Working Papers with number 2011/01.
Length: 56 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Global financial crisis; international trade; finance; developing countries; entrepreneurship;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F33 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - International Monetary Arrangements and Institutions
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Gary Clyde Hufbauer & Jeffrey J. Schott, 2009. "Buy American: Bad for Jobs, Worse for Reputation," Policy Briefs PB09-2, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- Jörg Mayer, 2010. "Global Rebalancing: Effects On Trade Flows And Employment," UNCTAD Discussion Papers 200, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development.
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2006.
"Entrepreneurship, Frictions, and Wealth,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 114(5), pages 835-870, October.
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2003. "Entrepreneurship, frictions and wealth," Working Papers 620, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2005. "Entrepreneurship, frictions, and wealth," Working Paper Series WP-05-09, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Marco Cagetti & Mariacristina De Nardi, 2003. "Entrepreneurship, frictions, and wealth," Staff Report 322, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Fosu, Augustin Kwasi & Naude, Wim, 2009. "The Global Economic Crisis: Towards Syndrome-Free Recovery for Africa," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Naude, Wim & MacGee, James, 2009. "Wealth Distribution, the Financial Crisis and Entrepreneurship," Working Paper Series WIDER Angle newsletter Ma, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bezemer, Dirk, 2009. "No one saw this coming. Understanding financial crisis through accounting models," Research Report 09002, University of Groningen, Research Institute SOM (Systems, Organisations and Management).
- Gries Thomas & Naude Wim, 2011.
"Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis,"
Entrepreneurship Research Journal,
De Gruyter, vol. 1(3), pages 1-43, July.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2010. "Entrepreneurship, Structural Change and a Global Economic Crisis," Working Paper Series wp2010-57, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wim Naude & Adam Szirmai & Micheline Goedhuys, 2011.
"Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries,"
- Wim Naudé & Adam Szirmai & Micheline Goedhuys, 2011. "Innovation and Entrepreneurship in Developing Countries," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Policy Brief Pb, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Audretsch, David B. & Sanders, Mark, 2009. "Technological Innovation, Entrepreneurship and Development," MERIT Working Papers 052, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Ihrig, Jane & Moe, Karine S., 2004. "Lurking in the shadows: the informal sector and government policy," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 73(2), pages 541-557, April.
- Fabian Valencia & Luc Laeven, 2008. "Systemic Banking Crises," IMF Working Papers 08/224, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Maud de By).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.