Welfare improvement properties of an allowance market in a production economy
AbstractThis paper studies the welfare improvement properties of a market of allowances in an economy with a single type of externality. We show that thanks to the opening of such a market the Pareto optima can be decentralized as marginal pricing equilibria. However, the set of equilibria is much larger than this of Pareto optima. In order to discriminate the efficient equilibria we introduce a demand revealing mechanism tailored for this framework.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne in its series Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne with number b07029.
Length: 13 pages
Date of creation: May 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
General equilibrium theory; Pareto Optimality; externalities; markets of allowances.;
Other versions of this item:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D51 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Exchange and Production Economies
- D62 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Externalities
- Q54 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Climate; Natural Disasters
- Q58 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environmental Economics: Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Conley, John P. & Smith, Stefani C., 2005. "Coasian equilibrium," Journal of Mathematical Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 687-704, September.
- Stefani C. Smith & Andrew J. Yates, 2003. "Should Consumers Be Priced Out of Pollution-Permit Markets?," The Journal of Economic Education, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(2), pages 181-189, January.
- Boyd, John III & Conley, John P., 1997. "Fundamental Nonconvexities in Arrovian Markets and a Coasian Solution to the Problem of Externalities," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 72(2), pages 388-407, February.
- Jean-Marc BONNISSEAU, 1994. "Caractérisation des optima de pareto dans une économie avec effets externes," Annales d'Economie et de Statistique, ENSAE, issue 36, pages 97-112.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.