Guilbaud's Theorem : an early contribution to judgment aggregation
AbstractIn a paper published in 1952, the French matematician Georges-Théodule Guilbaud has generalized Arrow's impossibility result to the "logical problem of aggregation", thus anticipating the literature on abstract aggregation theory and judgment aggregation. We reconstruct the proof of Guilbaud's theorem, which is also of technical interest, because it can be seen as the first use of ultrafilters in social choice theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne in its series Documents de travail du Centre d'Economie de la Sorbonne with number 09047.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 106-112 boulevard de l'Hôpital 75 647 PARIS CEDEX 13
Phone: + 33 44 07 81 00
Fax: + 33 1 44 07 83 01
Web page: http://centredeconomiesorbonne.univ-paris1.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Arrow's theorem; aggregation rule; judgment aggregation; logical connexions; simple game; ultrafilter.;
Other versions of this item:
- Daniel Eckert & Bernard Monjardet, 2009. "Guilbaud's Theorem : An early contribution to judgment aggregation," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00404185, HAL.
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-07-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2009-07-17 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-HIS-2009-07-17 (Business, Economic & Financial History)
- NEP-HPE-2009-07-17 (History & Philosophy of Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Mongin, Philippe & Dietrich, Franz, 2011. "An interpretive account of logical aggregation theory," Les Cahiers de Recherche 941, HEC Paris.
- Mongin, Philippe, 2012.
"The doctrinal paradox, the discursive dilemma, and logical aggregation theory,"
37752, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Philippe Mongin, 2012. "The doctrinal paradox, the discursive dilemma, and logical aggregation theory," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 73(3), pages 315-355, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lucie Label).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.