Challenges of EU and new member states in financial perspective 2007-2013: convergence and absorption of available cohesion resources
AbstractThe recent agreement on financial perspective 2007-2013 provided new member states with substantial cohesion resources to speed up their real convergence process. The primary objective of the paper is to explore key policy issues, faced by new member states, if they want to successfully absorb available cohesion resources in the next financial perspective and outline their key policy choices and possible outcomes in terms of convergence and stability. The secondary objective is to provide an overview of the financial perspective deal achieved under the UK presidency in light of the main economic challenges of the EU. The main conclusions are: first, new member states need to focus on restructuring their national budget expenditure, if they want to implement cohesion policy in the next financial perspective without compromising fiscal stability and, second, the deal achieved under the UK presidency is a far cry from the original proposal by the European Commission and from proclaimed key economic challenges of the EU for the future (particularly competitiveness), however, it still provides significant convergence support for new member states for a 7-year period.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2006-09.
Date of creation: 01 Feb 2006
Date of revision:
new member states; absorption capacity; cohesion policy; financial perspectives; economic challenges of the EU;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F36 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - Financial Aspects of Economic Integration
- H50 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - General
- H77 - Public Economics - - State and Local Government; Intergovernmental Relations - - - Intergovernmental Relations; Federalism
- O10 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Raiser, Martin & Schaffer, Mark & Schuchhardt, Johannes, 2003.
"Benchmarking Structural Change in Transition,"
IZA Discussion Papers
727, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Martin Raiser & Mark Schaffer & Johannes Schuchhardt, 2003. "Benchmarking Structural Change in Transition," CERT Discussion Papers 0301, Centre for Economic Reform and Transformation, Heriot Watt University.
- Martin Raiser & Mark Schaffer & Johannes Schuchhardt, 2003. "Benchmarking structural change in transition," Working Papers 79, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, Office of the Chief Economist.
- Raiser, Martin & Schaffer, Mark E & Schuchhardt, Johannes, 2003. "Benchmarking Structural Change in Transition," CEPR Discussion Papers 3820, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Acemoglu, Daron & Aghion, Philippe & Zilibotti, Fabrizio, 2002.
"Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
3467, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Journal of the European Economic Association, MIT Press, vol. 4(1), pages 37-74, 03.
- Acemoglu, D. & Aghion, P. & Zilibotti, F., 2006. "Distance to frontier, selection, and economic growth," Open Access publications from University College London http://discovery.ucl.ac.u, University College London.
- Zilibotti, Fabrizio & Aghion, Philippe & Acemoglu, Daron, 2006. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," Scholarly Articles 4554122, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Daron Acemoglu & Philippe Aghion & Fabrizio Zilibotti, 2002. "Distance to Frontier, Selection, and Economic Growth," NBER Working Papers 9066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Hallet, 2004. "Fiscal effects of accession in the new Member States," European Economy - Economic Papers 203, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Furman, Jeffrey L. & Porter, Michael E. & Stern, Scott, 2002. "The determinants of national innovative capacity," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(6), pages 899-933, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.