Cost benefit analysis, developing planning and the EU cohesion fund: learning from experience
AbstractIn this paper we consider the experience of transport and environmental evaluation in the framework of the Cohesion Fund, established by the EU in 1993 to co-finance through grants infrastructure projects in Spain, Portugal, Ireland and Greece, and more recently in the new Member States. We focus on the regulatory requirement to provide the Commission a cost-benefit analysis of the investment projects. We assess some recurrent conceptual issues in project appraisal for the Cohesion Fund. In particular we discuss typical omissions and errors we have observed in our reading of large samples of project applications and ex-post evaluations. We propose theoretically consistent and feasible solutions in the most critical areas for the CBA of Cohesion Funds projects: The choice of time horizon and the calculation of the residual value, the adoption of financial versus social discount rates, shadow pricing and the shadow wage, sensitivity and risk analysis
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano in its series Departmental Working Papers with number 2004-31.
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2004
Date of revision:
Cost-benefit Analysis; Transport; Environment; Cohesion Fund; EU Regional Policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- O22 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Development Planning and Policy - - - Project Analysis
- R42 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Systems - - - Government and Private Investment Analysis; Road Maintenance; Transportation Planning
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-12-12 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dreze, Jean & Stern, Nicholas, 1990. "Policy reform, shadow prices, and market prices," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 1-45, June.
- Harberger, Arnold C, 1997. "New Frontiers in Project Evaluation? A Comment on Devarajan, Squire, and Suthiwart-Narueput," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 73-79, February.
- Lind, Robert C., 1990. "Reassessing the government's discount rate policy in light of new theory and data in a world economy with a high degree of capital mobility," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages S8-S28, March.
- Massimo Florio & Silvia Vignetti, 2005. "Cost-benefit Analysis of Infrastructure Projects in an Enlarged European Union: Returns and Incentives," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 179-210, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (DEMM Working Papers).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.