Cost-benefit Analysis of Infrastructure Projects in an Enlarged European Union: Returns and Incentives
AbstractWe consider results of cost-benefit analysis (CBA) in a large sample of ISPA (Structural Instrument for Pre-Accession countries) projects co-financed by the European Union to support investment in transport and environment. The research focus is on the empirical analysis of the variability of financial and economic rates of return and how to integrate this information in the EU co-financing mechanism. We investigate to what extent the variability of expected returns and of EU co-financing rates is due to structural project characteristics (sectors, countries) or to other unexplained factors, including errors in the appraisal. We find that while the absolute level of grants is related to sectors, the EU co-financing rate depends on countries. There is no justification in economic analysis of such a country bias, because the variability of economic rate of returns is unrelated either to sector or country factors. These findings points to the need of a more consistent approach to evaluation and EU co-financing of infrastructure supported by the EU funds. We suggest possible improvements, based on the idea to offer an incentive to projects with high-expected economic␣rates of return relative to a benchmark and showing ex-post the realism of the initial analysis. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2005
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Economic Change and Restructuring.
Volume (Year): 38 (2005)
Issue (Month): 3 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=113294
cost-benefit analysis; EU Structural Funds; infrastructure; project evaluation; D61; H43; R58;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D61 - Microeconomics - - Welfare Economics - - - Allocative Efficiency; Cost-Benefit Analysis
- H43 - Public Economics - - Publicly Provided Goods - - - Project Evaluation; Social Discount Rate
- R58 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Regional Development Planning and Policy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jacky Fayolle & Jacques Le Cacheux, 1998. "Elargissement, PAC, politiques structurelles et " juste retour " : la quadrature du cercle budgétaire européen," Sciences Po publications info:hdl:2441/2095, Sciences Po.
- Massimo FLORIO & Silvia VIGNETTI, 2004. "Cost benefit analysis, developing planning and the EU cohesion fund: learning from experience," Departmental Working Papers 2004-31, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- Alberto Chong & César Calderón, 2001.
"Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation,"
Research Department Publications
4263, Inter-American Development Bank, Research Department.
- César Calderón & Alberto Chong, 2004. "Volume and Quality of Infrastructure and the Distribution of Income: An Empirical Investigation," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 50(1), pages 87-106, 03.
- Massimo Florio, 1999. "An International Comparison of the Financial and Economic Rate of Return of Development Projects," Departmental Working Papers 1999-06, Department of Economics, Management and Quantitative Methods at Università degli Studi di Milano.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2004.
"The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution,"
Working Papers Central Bank of Chile
270, Central Bank of Chile.
- Cesar A. Calderon & Luis Serven, 2014. "The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution," Annals of Economics and Finance, Society for AEF, vol. 15(2), pages 521-534, November.
- Calderon, Cesar & Serven, Luis, 2004. "The effects of infrastructure development on growth and income distribution," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3400, The World Bank.
- César Calderón & Luis Servén, 2005. "The Effects of Infrastructure Development on Growth and Income Distribution," DEGIT Conference Papers c010_056, DEGIT, Dynamics, Economic Growth, and International Trade.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 2002.
"On the sources of convergence: A close look at the Spanish regions,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 569-599, March.
- de la Fuente, Angel, 1996. "On the Sources of Convergence: A Close Look at the Spanish Regions," CEPR Discussion Papers 1543, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- de la Fuente, A, 1996. "On the Sources of Convergence : A Close Look at the Spanish Regions," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 362.96, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- Angel de la Fuente & Vicente Salas Fumás, . "On the sources of convergence: A close look at the Spanish regions," Studies on the Spanish Economy 01, FEDEA.
- Pereira, Alfredo M, 1997. "Development Policies in the EU: An International Comparison," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 1(2), pages 219-35, June.
- Gillian Bristow & Nigel Blewitt, 2001. "The Structural Funds and additionality in Wales: devolution and multilevel governance," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(6), pages 1083-1099, June.
- Frank Barry & John Bradley & Aoife Hannan, 2001. "The Single Market, the Structural Funds and Ireland's Recent Economic Growth," Journal of Common Market Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(3), pages 537-552, 09.
- John Bradley, 2006. "Evaluating the impact of European Union Cohesion policy in less-developed countries and regions," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 40(2), pages 189-200.
- Boldrin, Michele & Canova, Fabio, 2003. "Regional Policies and EU Enlargement," CEPR Discussion Papers 3744, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Zaman Gheorghe & Vasile Valentina & Cristea Anca, 2012. "Sustainable Development Challenges And Fdi Impact In Host Countries," Annals of Faculty of Economics, University of Oradea, Faculty of Economics, vol. 1(1), pages 444-460, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.