The Border Effect in the Japanese Market: A Gravity Model Analysis
AbstractThis paper uses a Gravity Model to analyze the border effect in the Japanese market, which indicates how biased interregional trade is compared with international trade. The results suggest that the border effect in Japan is much lower than in the United States and Canada, and has declined year by year between 1960 and 1990. Possible reasons for the decline include the reduction of tariff rates and non-tariff barriers, the surge of foreign direct investment, and the appreciation of the yen.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Seminar in International Economics, University of Michigan in its series Working Papers with number 494.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2003
Date of revision:
Gravity Model; Border effect; Interregional trade; International t;
Other versions of this item:
- Okubo, Toshihiro, 2004. "The border effect in the Japanese market: A Gravity Model analysis," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 1-11, March.
- Okubo, Toshihiro, 2000. "The Border Effect in the Japanese Market: Gravity Model Analysis," Discussion Papers 2000-08, Graduate School of Economics, Hitotsubashi University.
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F17 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Trade Forecasting and Simulation
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wall, Howard-J, 2002.
"Has Japan Been Left Out in the Cold by Regional Integration?,"
Monetary and Economic Studies,
Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan, vol. 20(2), pages 117-134, April.
- Howard J. Wall, 2002. "Has Japan been left out in the cold by regional integration?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 25-36.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2003.
"Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(1), pages 170-192, March.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2001. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," NBER Working Papers 8079, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- James E. Anderson & Eric van Wincoop, 2000. "Gravity with Gravitas: A Solution to the Border Puzzle," Boston College Working Papers in Economics 485, Boston College Department of Economics.
- John F. Helliwell, 1996.
"Do National Borders Matter for Quebec's Trade?,"
NBER Working Papers
5215, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Toshihiro Okubo, 2006. "Trade Bloc Formation in Interwar Japan --Gravity Model Analysis-- (forthcoming in Journal of the Japanese and International Economies)," IHEID Working Papers 03-2006, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Anwar, Sajid & Nguyen, Lan Phi, 2011. "Foreign direct investment and trade: The case of Vietnam," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(1), pages 39-52, January.
- Jean-Marc Siroën & Aycil Yucer, 2012.
"The impact of MERCOSUR on trade of Brazilian states,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 148(3), pages 553-582, September.
- Jean-Marc Siroën & Aycil Yucer, 2011. "The Impact of MERCOSUR on Trade of Brazilian States," Working Papers DT/2011/07, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Siroën, Jean-Marc & Yücer, Aycil, 2012. "The Impact of MERCOSUR on Trade of Brazilian States," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/7077, Paris Dauphine University.
- Kyoji Fukao; Toshihiro Okubo, 2004. "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Market Declined?," IHEID Working Papers 12-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Salvador Gil-Pareja & Rafael Llorca-Vivero & José A. Martínez-Serrano & Josep Oliver-Alonso, .
"The Border Effect in Spain,"
- Kyoji Fukao & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011.
"Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined? The Role of Business Networks in East Asian Machinery Trade,"
Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
gd11-197, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Okubo, Toshihiro, 2011. "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined?: The Role of Business Networks in East Asian Machinery Trade," Journal of Economic Integration, Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University, vol. 26, pages 651-671.
- Kyoji Fukao & Toshihiro Okubo, 2008. "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined? The Role of Business Networks in East Asian-Machinery Trade," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d07-238, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kyoji Fukao & Toshihiro Okubo, 2011. "Why Has the Border Effect in the Japanese Machinery Sectors Declined? The role of business networks in East Asian machinery trade," Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Discussion Paper Series 2011-007, Keio/Kyoto Joint Global COE Program.
- Yener Kandogan, 2006. "Falling Walls and Lifting Curtains: Analysis of Border Effects in Transition Countries," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series 821, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Gallego López, Nuria & Llano Verduras, Carlos & Perez García, Julian, 2010. "Estimación de los flujos de transporte de mercancías interregionales trimestrales mediante técnicas de interpolación temporal/Estimating Quarterly Interregional Commodity Transport Flows by Means ," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 28, pages 699 (38 pÃ¡, Diciembre.
- Toshihiro Okubo, 2004. "Intra-industry Trade and Production Networks," IHEID Working Papers 13-2004, Economics Section, The Graduate Institute of International Studies.
- Yücer, Aycil & Siroën, Jean-Marc, 2011. "Did MERCOSUR affect interstate Brazilian trade ?," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/5844, Paris Dauphine University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (FSPP Webmaster).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.