Foreign Direct Investment and Technology Spillovers in the Turkish Manufacturing Industry
AbstractTechnology spillovers from foreign to domestic firms in emerging economies are considered to be the most important channel through which Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) influence the host economy. Empirical evidence about the existence, magnitude and direction of FDI-related spillovers in these countries is contradictory pointing to the necessity of conducting more econometric studies using firm-level data. We conduct an econometric analysis to assess the impact of FDI-related horizontal technology spillovers on output growth of domestic firms in the Turkish manufacturing industry over 2003-2006. When a broad definition of foreign ownership is adopted, our findings suggest that horizontal spillovers occur from foreign to local firms in the sector of activity. Export-oriented firms do not benefit from these spillovers in contrast to firms producing mainly for the domestic market. However, when foreign ownership is defined according to whether the minority or majority of capital is detained by the foreign partner, horizontal spillovers seem to originate from foreign firms with majority or full foreign ownership while no such effect is associated with minority-owned foreign firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by STPS - Science and Technology Policy Studies Center, Middle East Technical University in its series STPS Working Papers with number 1103.
Length: 33 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2011
Date of revision: Mar 2011
Foreign Direct Investment (FDI); multinational corporations; foreign ownership; productivity; technology spillovers; knowledge spillovers; horizontal spillovers; Turkey.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-ARA-2012-01-03 (MENA - Middle East & North Africa)
- NEP-CSE-2012-01-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-CWA-2012-01-03 (Central & Western Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Markusen, James R. & Venables, Anthony J., 1999.
"Foreign direct investment as a catalyst for industrial development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 335-356, February.
- James R. Markusen & Anthony J. Venables, 1997. "Foreign Direct Investment as a Catalyst for Industrial Development," NBER Working Papers 6241, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Kamal Saggi, 2002.
"Trade, Foreign Direct Investment, and International Technology Transfer: A Survey,"
World Bank Research Observer,
World Bank Group, vol. 17(2), pages 191-235, September.
- Saggi, Kamal, 2000. "Trade, foreign direct investment, and international technology transfer : a survey," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2349, The World Bank.
- Teoman Pamukcu & Erol Taymaz, 2009. "Spillovers in the MENA Region :the Case of Turkey," Working Papers 463, Economic Research Forum, revised Feb 2009.
- repec:ner:carlos:info:hdl:10016/13207 is not listed on IDEAS
- Aykut Lenger & Erol Taymaz, 2006. "To innovate or to transfer?," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, vol. 16(1), pages 137-153, April.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Jian-Ye Wang, 1992.
"Foreign Investment and Technology Transfer: A Simple Model,"
NBER Working Papers
2958, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Wang, Jian-Ye & Blomstrom, Magnus, 1992. "Foreign investment and technology transfer : A simple model," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 36(1), pages 137-155, January.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998.
"Technology, Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation With Multinationals Matter?,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2048, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Sjoholm, Fredrik, 1999. "Technology transfer and spillovers: Does local participation with multinationals matter?1," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 43(4-6), pages 915-923, April.
- Magnus Blomstrom & Fredrik Sjoholm, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers? Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," NBER Working Papers 6816, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Blomström, Magnus & Sjöholm, Fredrik, 1998. "Technology Transfer and Spillovers: Does Local Participation with Multinationals Matter?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 268, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Kamil Yılmaz & Şule Özler, 2007.
"Productivity response to reduction in trade barriers: Evidence from Turkish manufacturing plants,"
KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers
0704, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
- Sule Ozler & Kamil Yilmaz, 2009. "Productivity response to reduction in trade barriers: evidence from Turkish manufacturing plants," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 145(2), pages 339-360, July.
- Sinani, Evis & Meyer, Klaus E., 2004. "Spillovers of technology transfer from FDI: the case of Estonia," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 445-466, September.
- Blomstrom, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1998.
" Multinational Corporations and Spillovers,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 12(3), pages 247-77, July.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 99, Stockholm School of Economics.
- Blomström, Magnus & Kokko, Ari, 1996. "Multinational Corporations and Spillovers," CEPR Discussion Papers 1365, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Erol Taymaz & Şule Özler, 2007. "Foreign Ownership, Competition, and Survival Dynamics," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 31(1), pages 23-42, August.
- Steven Globerman, 1979. "Foreign Direct Investment and `Spillover' Efficiency Benefits in Canadian Manufacturing Industries," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 12(1), pages 42-56, February.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Motta, Massimo & Rønde, Thomas, 1999.
"Foreign Direct Investment and Spillovers through Workers' Mobility,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2194, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fosfuri, Andrea & Motta, Massimo & Ronde, Thomas, 2001. "Foreign direct investment and spillovers through workers' mobility," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 53(1), pages 205-222, February.
- Andrea Fosfuri & Massimo Motta & Thomas Ronde, 1998. "Foreign direct investments and spillovers through workers' mobility," Economics Working Papers 258, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Ann E. Harrison & Brian J. Aitken, 1999. "Do Domestic Firms Benefit from Direct Foreign Investment? Evidence from Venezuela," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 89(3), pages 605-618, June.
- Liza Jabbour & Jean Louis Mucchielli, 2007. "Technology transfer through vertical linkages: The case of the Spanish manufacturing industry," Journal of Applied Economics, Universidad del CEMA, vol. 0, pages 115-136, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Semih Akcomak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.