Technology transfer through vertical linkages: The case of the Spanish manufacturing industry
AbstractWhether or not foreign direct investment helps to upgrade the technological capacities of firms in host countries is an important question for policy makers. Even more important is the question of what are the most effective channels of technology transfer. The econometric analysis presented here is based on a firm level database from Spain for the period 1990-2000. We associate spillovers with the effect of horizontal and vertical FDI on total factor productivity of local firms. We find that technology spillovers are limited to the case of vertical linkages. However these spillovers are affected by the technology gap between domestic firms and foreign affiliates as well as by the characteristics of foreign affiliates. Linkages with exportoriented affiliates and fully owned ones seem to have a better influence on the productivity of domestic firms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Universidad del CEMA in its journal Journal of Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): X (2007)
Issue (Month): (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Córdoba 374, (C1054AAP) Capital Federal
Phone: (5411) 6314-3000
Fax: (5411) 4314-1654
Web page: http://www.cema.edu.ar/publicaciones/jae.html
More information through EDIRC
technology spillovers; vertical linkages; foreign direct investment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Augier, Patricia & Cadot, Olivier & Dovis, Marion, 2009.
"Imports and TFP at the Firm Level: The Role of Absorptive Capacity,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7218, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Patricia Augier & Olivier Cadot & Marion Dovis, 2013. "Imports and TFP at the firm level: the role of absorptive capacity," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 46(3), pages 956-981, August.
- Augier, Patricia & Cadot, Olivier & Dovis, Marion, 2009. "Imports and TFP at the Firm Level: The Role of Absorptive Capacity," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 0903, CEPREMAP.
- Augier, Patricia & Cadot, Olivier & Dovis, Marion, 2010. "Imports and TFP at the Firm Level: The Role of Absorptive Capacity," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Docweb) 1016, CEPREMAP.
- Huu Thanh Tam Nguyen & Nguyen Khac, 2013. "Demand creation and competition effect of Export-platform FDI on backward linkages - Evidence from panel data analysis of Vietnamese supporting industries," Documents de recherche 13-02, Centre d'Études des Politiques Économiques (EPEE), Université d'Evry Val d'Essonne.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2011.
"How to Stir Up FDI Spillovers: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1021, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Tomáš Havránek & Zuzana Iršová, 2011. "How to Stir Up FDI Spillovers: Evidence from a Large Meta-Analysis," Working Papers IES 2011/34, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised Oct 2011.
- Tomas Havranek & Zuzana Irsova, 2012. "Survey Article: Publication Bias in the Literature on Foreign Direct Investment Spillovers," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 48(10), pages 1375-1396, October.
- Seda Koymen & Selin Sayek, 2010. "The Role of Human Capital In Productivity Spillovers from FDI : An Empirical Analysis on Turkish Manufacturing Firms," Departmental Working Papers 1003, Bilkent University, Department of Economics.
- Chrysovalantou Milliou, 2013. "Location of Foreign Direct Investment in Vertically Related Markets," CESifo Working Paper Series 4117, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alper Sönmez & M. Teoman Pamukçu, 2011. "Foreign Direct Investment and Technology Spillovers in the Turkish Manufacturing Industry," STPS Working Papers 1103, STPS - Science and Technology Policy Studies Center, Middle East Technical University, revised Mar 2011.
- Selin Sayek & Seda Köymen, 2009. "The Role of Human Capital in Productivity Spillovers from FDI: An Empirical Analysis for Turkish Manufacturing Firms," 2009 Meeting Papers 919, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Yanling Wang, 2010. "Exposure to FDI and New Plant Survival: Evidence in Canada," Carleton Economic Papers 10-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013. "The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy," CELPE Discussion Papers 127, CELPE (Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy), University of Salerno, Italy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Valeria Dowding).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.