Global attractor in Solow growth model with differential savings and endogenic labor force growth
AbstractIn this paper we study the dynamics of a discrete triangular system T in capital per capita and population growth representing the neoclassical growth model with CES production function and differential savings, under the assumption that the labor force growth rate is endogenous and described by a generic iterative scheme having a unique positive globally stable equilibrium. The study herewith presented aims at confirming the existence of a compact global attractor for system T along the invariant line. Consequently asymptotic dynamics of growth models with constant population growth rate can be related to those with non-constant population growth if the steady state rate is globally stable. Furthermore we prove that the system exhibits cycles or even chaotic dynamics patterns if shareholders save more than workers, when the elasticity of substitution between production factors drops below one (so that capital income declines). The analytical results are supplemented by numerical simulations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Macerata University, Department of Finance and Economic Sciences in its series Working Papers with number 35-2006.
Date of creation: Oct 2006
Date of revision: Oct 2008
Publication status: Forthcoming in AMSE periodicals, Modelling Measurement and Control.
chaotic dynamics; Compact global attractor; Developing Countries; endogenic population growth.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brianzoni Serena & Mammana Cristiana & Michetti Elisabetta, 2007. "Complex Dynamics in the Neoclassical Growth Model with Differential Savings and Non-Constant Labor Force Growth," Studies in Nonlinear Dynamics & Econometrics, De Gruyter, vol. 11(3), pages 1-19, September.
- Hommes, Cars H., 1994. "Dynamics of the cobweb model with adaptive expectations and nonlinear supply and demand," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 315-335, August.
- Becker, R.C. & Foias, C., 1992.
"The Local Bifurcation of Ramsey Equilibrium,"
92-002, Indiana - Center for Econometric Model Research.
- Joseph E. Stiglitz, 1967.
"Distribution of Income and Wealth Among Individuals,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
238, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1969. "Distribution of Income and Wealth among Individuals," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 37(3), pages 382-97, July.
- T. W. Swan, 1956. "ECONOMIC GROWTH and CAPITAL ACCUMULATION," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 32(2), pages 334-361, November.
- Bohm, Volker & Kaas, Leo, 2000. "Differential savings, factor shares, and endogenous growth cycles," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 24(5-7), pages 965-980, June.
- Elvio Accinelli & Juan Gabriel Brida, 2005. "Re-formulation of the Solow economic growth model whit the Richards population growth law," GE, Growth, Math methods 0508006, EconWPA.
- Swan, Trevor W, 2002. "Economic Growth," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 78(243), pages 375-80, December.
- David Cheban & Cristiana Mammana & Elisabetta Michetti, 2012. "Non-Autonomous Difference Equations: Global Attractor in a Business-Cycle Model with Endogenous Population Growth," Working Papers 69-2012, Macerata University, Department of Finance and Economic Sciences, revised Nov 2012.
- Serena Brianzoni & Cristiana Mammana & Elisabetta Michetti, 2012. "Local and Global Dynamics in a Discrete Time Growth Model with Nonconcave Production Function," Working Papers 70-2012, Macerata University, Department of Finance and Economic Sciences, revised Dec 2012.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Silvana Tartufoli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.