Moving Eastwards while Remaining Embedded: the Case of the Marche Footwear District, Italy
AbstractThe article contributes to knowledge about the evolution of industrial districts specialised in traditional manufacturing industries as a result of internationalization processes. On the basis of a longitudinal field study, the article describes the change in outsourcing firms’ behaviour that occurred in one of the main fashion-led Italian footwear districts during the period 2001-2009. After the well-known preferential destination towards Central and Eastern Europe, a second, more recent wave of delocalization over long distances is reported. Despite intensified outsourcing abroad, subcontracting relationships remain deeply embedded, and the updated evidence indicates a possible homecoming to the original area.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE) in its series Working Papers with number 23-2010.
Date of creation: Mar 2010
Date of revision: Mar 2010
evolution; Industrial districts; outsourcing;
Other versions of this item:
- Eleonora Cutrini, 2010. "Moving Eastwards While Remaining Embedded: The Case of the Marche Footwear District, Italy," European Planning Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(6), pages 991-1019, June.
- O1 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-04-17 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Valentina De Marchi & Joonkoo Lee & Gary Gereffi, 2012. "Globalization, Recession and the Internationalization of Industrial Districts: Experiences from the Italian Gold Jewellery Industry," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0150, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carlo Sampaoli).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.