Equity market liberalization and firm growth
AbstractUsing a sample of 686 investable firms from 26 emerging market countries, I show that equity market liberalizations do not result in an increase in externally-financed growth rates for participating firms. In fact, I find to the contrary. The average firm appears to rely less and not more on external-financing once they become investable. These findings are in line with recent work which shows that firms issue less equity capital post-liberalization, and suggest that the gains from equity market liberalizations may not be attributable to a reduction in financing constraints.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, Finance and Accounting, National University of Ireland - Maynooth in its series Economics, Finance and Accounting Department Working Paper Series with number n231-12.pdf.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
External financing; Investability; Firm growth.;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
- G32 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance - - - Financing Policy; Financial Risk and Risk Management; Capital and Ownership Structure; Value of Firms; Goodwill
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-08-23 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Chari, Anusha & Henry, Peter B., 2007.
"Firm-Specific Information and the Efficiency of Investment,"
1975, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Chari, Anusha & Blair Henry, Peter, 2008. "Firm-specific information and the efficiency of investment," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(3), pages 636-655, March.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Blair Henry, 2006. "Firm-Specific Information and the Efficiency of Investment," NBER Working Papers 12186, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chari, Anusha & Henry, Peter B., 2006. "Firm-Specific Information and the Efficiency of Investment," Research Papers 1930, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Anusha Chari & Peter Henry, 2007. "Firm-Specific Information and the Efficiency of Investment," Discussion Papers 07-005, Stanford Institute for Economic Policy Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.