Incentives and the Delegation of Decision Making Power in Sovereign Wealth Funds
AbstractThe paper models the incentives of a politician to delegate the decision making power in a sovereign wealth fund to an independent external manager. It formalizes the learning-e¤ects as well as the increase of transparency of the SWF and the rise of investment possibilities associated with higher transparency. It also focuses on the role of elections as a basic mechanism to control and discipline politicians. I show that the politician has incentives for strategic behaviour if voters have incomplete information about his competence. The paper also studies when the delegation of decision making power is socially optimal and under which circumstances it takes place.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philipps-Universität Marburg, Faculty of Business Administration and Economics, Department of Economics (Volkswirtschaftliche Abteilung) in its series MAGKS Papers on Economics with number 201117.
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in
DSovereign Wealth Fund (SWF); Transparency; Policy Delegation; External Management;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D7 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making
- E6 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-05-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-CDM-2011-05-14 (Collective Decision-Making)
- NEP-CTA-2011-05-14 (Contract Theory & Applications)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Edwin M. Truman, 2009.
"A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices,"
Revue d'Économie Financière,
Programme National Persée, vol. 9(1), pages 429-451.
- Edwin M. Truman, 2008. "A Blueprint for Sovereign Wealth Fund Best Practices," Policy Briefs PB08-3, Peterson Institute for International Economics.
- William L. Megginson & Bernardo Bortolotti & Veljko Fotak & William Miracky, 2009. "Sovereign Wealth Fund Investment Patterns and Performance," Working Papers 2009.22, Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei.
- Eric Le Borgne & Gauti B. Eggertsson, 2007. "Dynamic Incentives and the Optimal Delegation of Political Power," IMF Working Papers 07/91, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernd Hayo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.