Health Policy, Inequity and Convergence in India
AbstractExisting situation in India is marked by laudable health indicators in terms of increased life expectancy which doubled since independence and eradication of some of the preventable diseases. Yet the main concern continues both for the policy makers and people in terms of inequity of health outcomes across rich and poor and rural and urban strata of the country. The objective of this study is to put to test the development paradigm that this inequity will converge and adjustment period will be lowered for equitable outcomes in health provided a fine tuning of health policy is carried out. The study makes use of information across twenty major states to analyze the process and speed of convergence by focusing on major determinant of health care. Our results indicate an affirmative answer to the tested development paradigm. It further chalks out the possible central and state level policy strategy to shorten the duration of convergence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India in its series Working Papers with number 2012-074.
Length: 46 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Gandhi Mandapam Road, Govt. Data Centre Campus, Kottur, Chennai, Tamil Nadu 600 025
Fax: (91) (044) 235 4847
Web page: http://www.mse.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
Health Care; inequality; states; policy; convergence;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I14 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Inequality
- I15 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Health and Economic Development
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:kas:wpaper:2005-76 is not listed on IDEAS
- Romer, Paul M, 1990.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(5), pages S71-102, October.
- Ron Martin, 2000.
"Emu Versus The Regions? Regional Convergence And Divergence In Euroland,"
ESRC Centre for Business Research - Working Papers
wp179, ESRC Centre for Business Research.
- Ron Martin, 2001. "EMU versus the regions? Regional convergence and divergence in Euroland," Journal of Economic Geography, Oxford University Press, vol. 1(1), pages 51-80, January.
- Gouyette, Claudine & Neven, Damien J, 1994.
"Regional Convergence in the European Community,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
914, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Damien NEVEN & Claudine GOUYETTE, 1993. "Regional Convergence in the European Comunity," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9311, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Sala-i-Martin, Xavier, 1997.
"I Just Ran Two Million Regressions,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 87(2), pages 178-83, May.
- Lydia Greunz, 2003.
"Geographically and technologically mediated knowledge spillovers between European regions,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/9463, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Lydia Greunz, 2003. "Geographically and technologically mediated knowledge spillovers between European regions," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(4), pages 657-680, December.
- Giuseppe Arbia & Roberto Basile & Gianfranco Piras, 2005. "Using Spatial Panel Data in Modelling Regional Growth and Convergence," ISAE Working Papers 55, ISTAT - Italian National Institute of Statistics - (Rome, ITALY).
- Shankar, Raja & Shah, Anwar, 2003. "Bridging the Economic Divide Within Countries: A Scorecard on the Performance of Regional Policies in Reducing Regional Income Disparities," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 31(8), pages 1421-1441, August.
- Rayaprolu Nagaraj & Aristomène Varoudakis & Marie-Ange Véganzonès, 1998.
"Long-Run Growth Trends and Convergence Across Indian States,"
OECD Development Centre Working Papers
131, OECD Publishing.
- R. Nagaraj & A. Varoudakis & M.-A. Véganzonès, 2000. "Long-run growth trends and convergence across Indian States," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(1), pages 45-70.
- Somik Vinay Lall & Sanjoy Chakravorty, 2005.
"Industrial Location and Spatial Inequality: Theory and Evidence from India,"
Review of Development Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 9(1), pages 47-68, 02.
- Lall, Somik V. & Chakravorty, Sanjoy, 2004. "Industrial Location and Spatial Inequality: Theory and Evidence from India," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Dhongde, Shatakshee, 2004.
"Decomposing Spatial Differences in Poverty in India,"
Working Paper Series
UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Shatakshee Dhongde, 2010. "Decomposing Spatial Differences in Poverty in India," Working Papers id:3267, eSocialSciences.
- Robert J. Barro, 1995.
"Inflation and Economic Growth,"
NBER Working Papers
5326, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Martin Gaechter & Engelbert Theurl, 2010. "Health Status Convergence at the Local Level: Empirical Evidence from Austria," Working Papers 2010-23, Faculty of Economics and Statistics, University of Innsbruck, revised Mar 2011.
- Islam, Nazrul, 1995. "Growth Empirics: A Panel Data Approach," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 110(4), pages 1127-70, November.
- Nilanjan Banik & Anurag Banerjee, 2011. "The rich keep getting richer in India! Says who?," Working Papers 10511, Asia-Pacific Research and Training Network on Trade (ARTNeT), an initiative of UNESCAP and IDRC, Canada..
- Mayer-Foulkes, David, 2001. "Convergence Clubs in Cross-Country Life Expectancy Dynamics," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Volker Nitsch, 2000. "National borders and international trade: evidence from the European Union," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 33(4), pages 1091-1105, November.
- Niebuhr, Annekatrin, 2002. "Spatial dependence of regional unemployment in the European Union," HWWA Discussion Papers 186, Hamburg Institute of International Economics (HWWA).
- Noorbakhsh, Farhad, 2006. "International Convergence or Higher Inequality in Human Development? Evidence for 1975 to 2002," Working Paper Series RP2006/15, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Geetha G).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.