Why Do Analysts Disagree ?
AbstractThis paper finds that about one-quarter of analyst forecast dispersion and one-half of the dispersion-return relationship between 1985 and 2012 are explained by analyst overconfidence. In particular, the firm’s analyst overconfidence mean and analyst overconfidence dispersion are the two most significant determinants of analyst forecast dispersion. Together, these two variables capture 77% of the explained variation in analyst forecast dispersion when all known determinants are considered. With respect to the dispersion-return relationship, the analyst forecast dispersion predicted by analyst overconfidence leads to a monthly hedging portfolio profit of 0.35% compared to a profit of 0.37% for the analyst forecast dispersion not predicted by analyst overconfidence.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by CIRPEE in its series Cahiers de recherche with number 1305.
Date of creation: 2013
Date of revision:
Analyst Overconfidence; Self-Attribution Bias; Analyst Forecast Dispersion; Stock Returns;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- G12 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Asset Pricing; Trading Volume; Bond Interest Rates
- G14 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - Information and Market Efficiency; Event Studies; Insider Trading
- G24 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - Investment Banking; Venture Capital; Brokerage
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBE-2013-04-06 (Cognitive & Behavioural Economics)
- NEP-FOR-2013-04-06 (Forecasting)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Johanne Perron).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.