Farmers’ Demand for Recycled Wastewater in Cyprus: A Contingent Valuation Approach
AbstractThis paper employs the contingent valuation (CV) method, to investigate Cypriot farmers’ willingness to adopt a new water resource, namely recycled wastewater, and to estimate farmers’ willingness to pay for varying quantities and qualities of recycled wastewater. A pilot CV study is undertaken with 97 farmers located in the Akrotiri aquifer area in Cyprus, a common-pool water resource with rapidly deteriorating water quality and quantity. The results reveal that farmers are willing to adopt this new water resource, and they derive the highest economic values from a recycled wastewater use program, which provides high quality recycled wastewater, and high water quantity in the aquifer.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Cambridge, Department of Land Economics in its series Environmental Economy and Policy Research Working Papers with number 24.2007.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision: 2007
contingent valuation; willingness to pay; water quantity; water quality; recycled wastewater; aquifer recharge;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- Q2 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Renewable Resources and Conservation
- Q4 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy
- R4 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Transportation Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2007-05-26 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2007-05-26 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENV-2007-05-26 (Environmental Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Storm, Hugo & Heckelei, Thomas & Heidecke, Claudia, 2010. "Demand Estimation for Irrigation Water in the Moroccan Drâa Valley using Contingent Valuation," Discussion Papers 162895, University of Bonn, Institute for Food and Resource Economics.
- Halkos, George, 2012. "The use of contingent valuation in assessing marine and coastal ecosystems’ water quality: A review," MPRA Paper 42183, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Unai Pascual).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.