Job Creation and Job Destruction in Russia: Some Preliminary Evidence from Enterprise-level Data
AbstractWe study job gross flows in Russia using large enterprise-level data sets from 1997 administrative records of firms in manufacturing and mining, construction and distribution and trade in four representative regions. We show that in 1997 small firms were the most successful at creating jobs while medium and large firms were mainly destroying them. Privatised firms fared no better than state-owned ones whilst new private firms outperformed firms with other ownership type as far as job creation is concerned. However, much of this superior performance seemed to have been related to labour market entry.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven in its series LICOS Discussion Papers with number 8499.
Length: 54 pages
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: De Bériotstraat 34, B-3000 Leuven
Phone: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6598
Fax: +32 (0) 16 / 32 6599
Web page: http://www.econ.kuleuven.be/licos
More information through EDIRC
Job Creation and Job Destruction; Russian Labour Market;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- P52 - Economic Systems - - Comparative Economic Systems - - - Comparative Studies of Particular Economies
- J40 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Particular Labor Markets - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-11-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CIS-2003-11-03 (Confederation of Independent States)
- NEP-LAB-2003-11-03 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-MFD-2003-11-03 (Microfinance)
- NEP-TRA-2003-11-03 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d'Artis, 2011.
"Job Creation And Job Destruction In The Eu Agriculture,"
2011 International Congress, August 30-September 2, 2011, Zurich, Switzerland
114430, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Dries, Liesbeth & Ciaian, Pavel & Kancs, d’Artis, 2012. "Job creation and job destruction in EU agriculture," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6), pages 600-608.
- Ciaian, Pavel & Dries, Liesbeth & Kancs, d'Artis, 2010. "Job creation and job destruction in the EU agriculture," 114th Seminar, April 15-16, 2010, Berlin, Germany 61351, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Liesbeth Dries & Pavel Ciaian & d’Artis Kancs, 2012. "Job Creation and Job Destruction in EU Agriculture," LICOS Discussion Papers 31512, LICOS - Centre for Institutions and Economic Performance, KU Leuven.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.