Firm Turnover, Restructuring and Labour Productivity in Transition: The Case of Poland
AbstractThis paper explores the impact of turnover and restructuring on labour productivity in the Polish economy over the period 1988-1993. Changes in aggregate productivity are decomposed into elements corresponding to productivity growth among survivors, market share growth by survivors and the contributions of entering and exiting firms. The traditional entry and exit effects begin to work as transition to a market economy progresses. However, initial productivity improvements are due to changes to market shares of the existing firms following the break-up of large enterprises. Regression analysis shows that changes in the firm-level productivity are affected by restructuring and a more competitive economic environment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, University of Leicester in its series Discussion Papers in Economics with number 05/27.
Date of creation: Oct 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Department of Economics University of Leicester, University Road. Leicester. LE1 7RH. UK
Phone: +44 (0)116 252 2887
Fax: +44 (0)116 252 2908
Web page: http://www2.le.ac.uk/departments/economics
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Barbara Roberts & Steve Thompson, 2009. "Firm turnover, restructuring and labour productivity in transition: the case of Poland," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(9), pages 1127-1136.
- NEP-ALL-2005-11-12 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2005-11-12 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENT-2005-11-12 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-LAB-2005-11-12 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TRA-2005-11-12 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ergun Dogan & Koi Nyen Wong & Michael Meow-Chung Yap, 2010. "Turnover, Ownership and Productivity in Malaysian Manufacturing," Monash Economics Working Papers 13-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Ergun Dogan & Koi Nyen Wong, 2010. "Plant Size, Turnover and Productivity in Malaysian Manufacturing," Monash Economics Working Papers 11-10, Monash University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mrs. Alexandra Mazzuoccolo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.