On the impossibility of calculating the product technology in the Supply-Use model
AbstractThe Supply-Use input-output model of the SNA and Eurostat is examined. For the product-by-product IO tables, two hypothesis are possible: “product technology”, largely adopted (Eurostat A) and examined here, and “industry technology” (Eurostat B). One examines the calculability of the model. Negatives are an issue; (i) they are systematical in the inverse supply matrix: negative probabilities are impossible, Markov chains become impossible; (ii) negative flows are nonsense in symmetric matrix of coefficients or in inverse matrices. Matrices must be square what removes much of their interest. Same conclusions can be transposed to industry-by-industry IO tables under fixed-industry-sales-structure assumption (Eurostat C).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by LEG, Laboratoire d'Economie et de Gestion, CNRS, Université de Bourgogne in its series LEG - Document de travail - Economie with number 2008-06.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Pôle d'Economie et de Gestion - 2, bd Gabriel - BP 26611 - F-21066 Dijon cedex - France
Phone: 03 80 39 54 30
Fax: 03 80 39 54 43
Web page: http://www.leg.u-bourgogne.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Input-Output; SNA; Eurostat; Supply-Use; Make-Use..;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C67 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Input-Output Models
- D57 - Microeconomics - - General Equilibrium and Disequilibrium - - - Input-Output Tables and Analysis
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-11 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jansen, Pieter Kop & ten Raa, Thijs, 1990. "The Choice of Model in the Construction of Input-Output Coefficients Matrices," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 31(1), pages 213-27, February.
- Mattey, J. & Raa, T. ten, 1997. "Primary versus secondary production techniques in US manufacturing," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-86070, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Odile Ferry).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.