Prior knowledge and entrepreneurial innovative success
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the relationship between innovative success of entrepreneurs and their prior knowledge at the stage of firm formation. We distinguish between different kinds of experience an entrepreneur can possess and find evidence that the innovative success subsequent to firm formation is enhanced by entrepreneur's prior technological knowledge but not by prior market and organizational knowledge. Moreover we find that prior technological knowledge gathered through embeddedness within a research community has an additionally positive influence on post start-up innovative success. This is a first hint towards the importance of collective innovation activities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics in its series Jena Economic Research Papers with number 2007-052.
Date of creation: 27 Aug 2007
Date of revision:
Entrepreneurship; Networks; Prior knowledge;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-09-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2007-09-02 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2007-09-02 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-ENT-2007-09-02 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-INO-2007-09-02 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2007-09-02 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-KNM-2007-09-02 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-NET-2007-09-02 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2007-09-02 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-TID-2007-09-02 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Terza, Joseph V., 2006. "Optimal discrete prediction in parametric binary response models," Economics Letters, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 91(1), pages 72-75, April.
- Klepper, Steven, 2001. "Employee Startups in High-Tech Industries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 10(3), pages 639-74, September.
- Ronstadt, Robert, 1988. "The Corridor Principle," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 31-40.
- Steven Klepper & Sally Sleeper, 2005.
"Entry by Spinoffs,"
Management Science, INFORMS,
INFORMS, vol. 51(8), pages 1291-1306, August.
- Pavitt, Keith, 1991. "What makes basic research economically useful?," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 109-119, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Research Policy, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Teece, David J., 1993. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Piergiuseppe Morone & Richard Taylor, 2004. "Knowledge diffusion dynamics and network properties of face-to-face interactions," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 14(3), pages 327-351, 07.
- Paul Westhead & Deniz Ucbasaran & Mike Wright & Martin Binks, 2005. "Novice, Serial and Portfolio Entrepreneur Behaviour and Contributions," Small Business Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 109-132, 09.
- Olav Sorenson, 2003. "Social networks and industrial geography," Journal of Evolutionary Economics, Springer, Springer, vol. 13(5), pages 513-527, December.
- Anis Omri & Maha Ayadi-Frikha & Anissa Chaibi, 2014. "An Empirical Investigation of Factors Affecting Small Business Success," Working Papers, Department of Research, Ipag Business School 2014-506, Department of Research, Ipag Business School.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Markus Pasche).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.