Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices from Complex Survey Data
AbstractApplying a method suggested by Woodruff (1971), we derive the sampling variances of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson inequality indices when estimated from complex survey data. It turns out that this method also greatly simplifies the calculations for the i.i.d. case when compared to previous derivations in the literature. Both cases are illustrated with examples from the German Socio-Economic Panel Study and the British Household Panel Survey.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 763.
Length: 10 pages
Date of creation: Apr 2003
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- Martin Biewen & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003. "Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices from Complex Survey Data," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 345, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- C14 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Semiparametric and Nonparametric Methods: General
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-05-08 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2003-05-15 (Econometrics)
- NEP-LTV-2003-05-08 (Unemployment, Inequality & Poverty)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cowell, Frank A., 1989. "Sampling variance and decomposable inequality measures," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 27-41, September.
- Biewen, Martin, 2002. "Bootstrap inference for inequality, mobility and poverty measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 317-342, June.
- Christian Schluter & Mark Trede, 2002. "Statistical Inference for Inequality and Poverty Measurement with Dependent Data," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 43(2), pages 493-508, May.
- Frank Cowell & Stephen P Jenkins, 2000.
"Estimating welfare indices : household weights and sample design,"
LSE Research Online Documents on Economics
2160, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Frank A. Cowell & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2000. "Estimating Welfare Indices: Household Weights and Sample Design," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 219, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Frank A Cowell & Stephen P Jenkins, 2000. "Estimating Welfare Indices: Household Weights and Sample Design," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 48, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- repec:ese:iserwp:2000-23 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thistle, Paul D, 1990. "Large Sample Properties of Two Inequality Indices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(3), pages 725-28, May.
- Juan Ramón García López, . "El diseño complejo de la encuesta de estructura salarial 1995: Implicaciones sobre la estimación de medidas de desigualdad," Working Papers 2003-24, FEDEA.
- Carlo V. Fiorio, 2006.
"Understanding Inequality Trends:Microsimulation Decomposition for Italy,"
STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers
78, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Carlo V. Fiorio, 2006. "Understanding inequality trends: microsimulation decomposition for Italy," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 6544, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Juan Ramón García, . "La desigualdad salarial en España. Efectos de un diseño muestral complejo," Working Papers 2003-26, FEDEA.
- Djavad Salehi-Isfahani, 2007.
"Poverty, Inequality, and Populist Politics in Iran,"
e07-1, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, Department of Economics.
- Djavad Salehi-Isfahani, 2009. "Poverty, inequality, and populist politics in Iran," Journal of Economic Inequality, Springer, vol. 7(1), pages 5-28, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.