El diseño complejo de la encuesta de estructura salarial 1995: Implicaciones sobre la estimación de medidas de desigualdad
AbstractThis paper constitutes a theoretical approach to the study of the role that sample design plays in the quantification of the degree of wage inequality. Using the design of the 1995 Spanish Structure of Earnings Survey as reference framework, we offer a detailed description of the estimation and statistical inference methods of inequality measures. Results show that the simplification caused by supposing independent and identically distributed observations could derive in significant systematic biases of the estimators and its standard errors.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2003-24.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2003-10-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Beach, Charles M & Davidson, Russell, 1983. "Distribution-Free Statistical Inference with Lorenz Curves and Income Shares," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(4), pages 723-35, October.
- Martin Biewen, 2002. "Measuring inequality in the presence of intra-household correlation," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 9(15), pages 1003-1006.
- Martin Biewen & Stephen P. Jenkins, 2003.
"Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices from Complex Survey Data,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
345, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Biewen, Martin & Jenkins, Stephen P., 2003. "Estimation of Generalized Entropy and Atkinson Inequality Indices from Complex Survey Data," IZA Discussion Papers 763, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- repec:ese:iserwp:2003-11 is not listed on IDEAS
- Biewen, Martin, 2002. "Bootstrap inference for inequality, mobility and poverty measurement," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 108(2), pages 317-342, June.
- Blackorby, Charles & Donaldson, David, 1978. "Measures of relative equality and their meaning in terms of social welfare," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 59-80, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.