Wage Inequality of U.S. Truck Drivers
AbstractUsing CPS data for the period 1979-2009, the wage dispersion of truck drivers (and subsets of the truck driving sample) is compared to the trends in wage dispersion of males economy-wide. We find that truckers' wages experienced a decrease in inequality post-deregulation, as expected given the literature on regulation's impact on the labor market. We also find that the wage dispersion for truckers is markedly different from males economy-wide, providing evidence that the wage distribution of truck drivers has been dominated by the changing structure of the occupation post-deregulation and largely immune to the factors that increased inequality for the aggregate labor market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) in its series IZA Discussion Papers with number 5444.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Jan 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: published in: Labour, 2011, 25 (2), 268–285
Contact details of provider:
Postal: IZA, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Phone: +49 228 3894 223
Fax: +49 228 3894 180
Web page: http://www.iza.org
Postal: IZA, Margard Ody, P.O. Box 7240, D-53072 Bonn, Germany
Other versions of this item:
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Enrico Moretti, 2008.
"Real Wage Inequality,"
NBER Working Papers
14370, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Moretti, Enrico, 2008. "Real Wage Inequality," IZA Discussion Papers 3706, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Moretti, Enrico, 2008. "Real Wage Inequality," CEPR Discussion Papers 6997, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Enrico Moretti, 2008. "Real Wage Inequality," Working Paper Series 34-08, The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis, revised Jan 2008.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Fallak).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.