Knowledge strategies, firm types, and complementarity in human-resource practices
AbstractThis paper argues that complementary human resource practices play an important role in the development of a knowledge-based theory of firm differences. We find that firm types and knowledge strategies impact combinations of human resource practices employed in support of current activity systems and innovation. While recent evidence suggests that consistency among human resource practices is conducive, e.g. for productivity increases, research on complementarities among human resource management practices remains sparse, and focussed on single industries or firms. Additionally, little is known whether and how human resource practices support activity systems in different firm types and innovation. This paper addresses this gap by investigating the impact of firm type, knowledge strategies pursued, and external linkages on the application of complementarity human resource practices in a multisectoral sample of 684 manufacturing and 1,216 non-manufacturing firms. We develop hypotheses from the knowledge-based perspective, the theory of complementarity, and the strategic human resource literature. Our results support prior findings about complementarity between human resource practices, but complementarity effects differ in strength. Additionally, combinations of practices applied differ significantly with contingency factors such as knowledge strategies pursued and firm type. Thus, calling for a stronger integration between strategic management and human resource management.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy, Copenhagen Business School in its series IVS/CBS Working Papers with number 00-8.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.cbs.dk/forskning_viden/fakulteter_institutter_centre/institutter/oekonomi/ivs/
Human resource management practices; complementarieties; knowledge strategies;
Other versions of this item:
- Keld Laursen & Volker Mahnke, 2001. "Knowledge Strategies, Firm Types, and Complementarity in Human-Resource Practices," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 5(1), pages 1-27, March.
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- D21 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Firm Behavior: Theory
- D23 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Organizational Behavior; Transaction Costs; Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2001-01-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2001-01-27 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-TID-2001-01-27 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Santiago-Rodriguez, Fernando, 2010.
"Human resource management and learning for innovation: pharmaceuticals in Mexico,"
MERIT Working Papers
002, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Santiago-Rodriguez, Fernando, 2010. "Human resource management and learning for innovation: pharmaceuticals in Mexico," MERIT Working Papers 002, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Niesten, Eva & Jolink, Albert, 2012. "Incentives, opportunism and behavioral uncertainty in electricity industries," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(7), pages 1031-1039.
- Ganter, Alois & Hecker, Achim, 2013. "Deciphering antecedents of organizational innovation," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 66(5), pages 575-584.
- Gallié, Emilie-Pauline & Legros, Diégo, 2012. "French firms’ strategies for protecting their intellectual property," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(4), pages 780-794.
- Santiago, Fernando & Alcorta, Ludovico, 2012. "Human resource management for learning through knowledge exploitation and knowledge exploration: Pharmaceuticals in Mexico," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 530-546.
- Amara, Nabil & Landry, Réjean & Traoré, Namatié, 2008. "Managing the protection of innovations in knowledge-intensive business services," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(9), pages 1530-1547, October.
- Giulio Cainelli & Massimiliano Mazzanti & Roberto Zoboli, 2011. "Enviromental Innovations, Complementarity and Local/Global Cooperation," Working Papers 201104, University of Ferrara, Department of Economics.
- Galia, Fabrice & Legros, Diego, 2004. "Complementarities between obstacles to innovation: evidence from France," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(8), pages 1185-1199, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (J. Petur Joensen) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask J. Petur Joensen to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.