How different are the Spanish self-employed workers by underreporting their incomes?
AbstractThis paper offers estimates of the underreporting of income by self-employed workers using the Spanishhousehold surveys over the period 2006-2009. We use the well-known model by Pissarides and Weber (1989)but extending its interpretation for admitting also the (lower) concealment of income by salary workers. Ourresults show that the reported income by self-employed has to be increased by about 25-30 percent to obtainthe level of income which would equal the level of underreporting by employees. Our estimates are robust tochanges in specification, endogeneity and non-linearities. Este artículo ofrece estimaciones de la ocultación de rentas por parte de los trabajadores autónomosespañoles usando Encuestas de Presupuestos Familiares en el periodo 2006-2009. Para ello empleamos elconocido modelo de Pissarides y Weber (1989), cuya interpretación extendemos para admitir también la(menor) ocultación de renta por parte de los trabajadores asalariados. Nuestros resultados muestran que larenta reconocida por los trabajadores autónomos españoles debe incrementarse entre un 25 y 30 por cientopara obtener el nivel de renta que igualaría el grado de ocultación de los empleados. Dichas estimacionesson robustas a cambios en la especificación, endogeneidad y no linealidades.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie) in its series Working Papers. Serie EC with number 2011-09.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published by Ivie
ocultación; encuestas familiares; consumo de comida; evasión fiscal. underreporting; household surveys; food consumption; tax evasion;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D12 - Microeconomics - - Household Behavior - - - Consumer Economics: Empirical Analysis
- H26 - Public Economics - - Taxation, Subsidies, and Revenue - - - Tax Evasion
- O17 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Formal and Informal Sectors; Shadow Economy; Institutional Arrangements
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lindsay Tedds, 2010.
"Estimating the income reporting function for the self-employed,"
Springer, vol. 38(3), pages 669-687, June.
- Tedds, Lindsay, 2007. "Estimating the Income Reporting Function for the Self-Employed," MPRA Paper 4212, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Engström, Per & Holmlund, Bertil, 2006.
"Tax Evasion and Self-Employment in a High-Tax Country: Evidence from Sweden,"
Working Paper Series
2006:12, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Per Engstrom & Bertil Holmlund, 2009. "Tax evasion and self-employment in a high-tax country: evidence from Sweden," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 41(19), pages 2419-2430.
- Per Engström & Bertil Holmlund, 2006. "Tax Evasion and Self-Employment in a High-Tax Country: Evidence from Sweden," CESifo Working Paper Series 1736, CESifo Group Munich.
- Alm, James & Torgler, Benno, 2006.
"Culture differences and tax morale in the United States and in Europe,"
Journal of Economic Psychology,
Elsevier, vol. 27(2), pages 224-246, April.
- James Alm & Benno Torgler, 2004. "Culture Differences and Tax Morale in the United States and in Europe," CREMA Working Paper Series 2004-14, Center for Research in Economics, Management and the Arts (CREMA).
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2007.
"Under-reporting of income and Labour Market Performance,"
10-2007, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Economics.
- Ann-Sofie Kolm & S�Ren Bo Nielsen, 2008. "Under-reporting of Income and Labor Market Performance," Journal of Public Economic Theory, Association for Public Economic Theory, vol. 10(2), pages 195-217, 04.
- Kolm, Ann-Sofie & Nielsen, Søren Bo, 2005. "Under-reporting of Income and Labor Market Performance," Research Papers in Economics 2005:5, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Erik Hurst & Geng Li & Benjamin Pugsley, 2011.
"Are household surveys like tax forms: evidence from income underreporting of the self-employed,"
Finance and Economics Discussion Series
2011-06, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Erik Hurst & Geng Li & Benjamin Pugsley, 2010. "Are Household Surveys Like Tax Forms: Evidence from Income Underreporting of the Self Employed," NBER Working Papers 16527, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Torrini, Roberto, 2005.
"Cross-country differences in self-employment rates: the role of institutions,"
Elsevier, vol. 12(5), pages 661-683, October.
- Roberto Torrini, 2002. "Cross-country differences in self-employment rates: the role of institutions," Temi di discussione (Economic working papers) 459, Bank of Italy, Economic Research and International Relations Area.
- Mar�A Jes�S Freire-Ser�N & Judith Panad�S, 2008. "Does Tax Evasion Modify the Redistributive Effect of Tax Progressivity?," The Economic Record, The Economic Society of Australia, vol. 84(267), pages 486-495, December.
- Edvard Johansson, 2005. "An estimate of self-employment income underreporting in Finland," Nordic Journal of Political Economy, Nordic Journal of Political Economy, vol. 31, pages 99-109.
- Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 1995. "Selection corrections for panel data models under conditional mean independence assumptions," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 68(1), pages 115-132, July.
- Panayiota Lyssiotou & Panos Pashardes & Thanasis Stengos, 2004. "Estimates of the black economy based on consumer demand approaches," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(497), pages 622-640, 07.
- Herb J. Schuetze, 2002. "Profiles of Tax Non-compliance Among the Self-Employed in Canada: 1969 to 1992," Canadian Public Policy, University of Toronto Press, vol. 28(2), pages 219-237, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Departamento de Edición).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.